Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice. A guy over here at the Netherlands offers me to take over a Couesnon soprano for €450,-. The sax is in good shape. But what is a fair price?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
Need some advice. A guy over here at the Netherlands offers me to take over a Couesnon soprano for €450,-. The sax is in good shape. But what is a fair price?
It would help if you could find out the model, the serial number, whether its a Bb or C soprano, whether its in Low pitch ( standard 440 hz) or high pitch. some pictures and a description of how it plays and if there is any damage etc will help determinr its value.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
A lot of these are older horns. A photo will tell. Does it go to low Bb or just to B? By US prices, it sounds high as you can find Conns, Martins or Bueschers for a little more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reactions so far.

From the mails up to now I can distill that it is a Couesnon Monopole Conservatoire (with high fis) with a silver finish. Though the finish is o.k. there may be some work to do to the pads and/or to play well.

It is a low pitch Bes soprano. The serial number I have to ask. Because it is now midnight here I expect an answer tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
I had one like that a long time ago. Very good horn, not the easiest ergonomics.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That's about the best Couesnon you can find. Sounds like a good deal to me, just check that it has the automatic octave mechanism, because if its an early one it may have the double octave keys near the LH thumb stud, which I guess you wouldn't want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've decided to buy the Couesnon. It's my first soprano but I've been playing one years ago, using it secretly from an orchestra in a church next to our house. My parents had keys of that church, keeping an eye on it. So I could easily obtain those keys, go into that church and play on that soprano. I thought the orchestra didn't use it so at a certain moment I took it also home, together with a contrabas from them so I could play together with my own music from a LP. Well, it appeared that the orchestra did miss those instruments after all. It was a little bit embarrassing when someone of that orchestra came to the house of my parents...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts