Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone here has a low D# key guard for the Monopole? The vertical screw mounting studs make it tough to find a substitute key guard that will work.

Any suggestions?

Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Automotive exhaust Reed instrument

Shoe Human body Breastplate Brass instrument Music

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
get some sheet brass and fabricate. If you consider what another key guard is going to look like after suitable modifications a freshly fabricated one ain't gonna' be much worse - unless the maker knows their stuff.

·
Registered
8,833 Posts
I'd say take a sheet metal guard off a cheapo junker and modify. The stamping and forming of sheet to make a sheet key guard is beyond the normal backyard shed capabilities, but bending and soldering aren't.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up making a Franken-guard from some unknown vintage guard. It isn't up to my desired standards but none of the other keyguards are anywhere near close enough to just modify....they are all way too big diameter. Cut and soldered together with 90 deg feets after closing down the diameter. Not ideal but the horn isn't worth much.

If I had more time and my customer had more money, the right thing to do would be to move the lower screw posts to accept the larger diameter guards (modified)from a Yammy or Bundy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts