Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys!!
I happen to have a Couesnon alto clarinet, I've had this thing for years with the intent of fixing it up. Now, first of all I have no idea why man spawned an alto clarinet, but hey, whatever. Anywho, this thing is pretty old and deff needs some work. As is it does play and sounds incredibly great, a very rich tone. I do not plan on selling it as it would be more hassle than what it's worth, etc. But I wanted to know if anyone can tell me anything about it and whether or not it would be cost effective to fix it up to play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
729 Posts
If it was mine, and have no cracks on it, definetly I vote to fix it.
Couesnon soprano saxes are known by having a beautiful tone, I don´t know about Couesnon clarinets but why don´t give a chance?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
Based on my fairly extensive experience restoring older clarinets and saxes, I'd venture this opinion: Although I've worked on plenty of Couesnon saxes and soprano clarinets, I've never seen a Couesnon alto clarinet. With the soprano clarinets, the older vintages are simply marked "Couesnon S.A.", and are decent but unremarkable. They have little market value. However, in the 1950s-late 60s Couesnon made professional-line saxes and clarinets marked "Couesnon Monopole Conservatoires", and these are keepers. The Monopole saxes (in my opinion) are every bit the equal of Selmer Mark VIs, and the similarly-marked clarinets are on par with Buffet R-13s. These do have value on the used market, but are well worth keeping as players.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
If you do decide to have it repaired, I highly recommend you get a Grabner mouthpiece for it. Compared to the Vandoren B40 I was playing before, it's night and day.
Last week I tried a Marc Jean ligature on it and the sound opened up even more. It was a tenor sax lig, so the custom one that Marc will be making for me should be even better.

I wish I had this set up when I bought my alto clarinet 5 years ago, it would have saved me a lot of frustration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.