Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.blocket.se/vi/12366342.htm?ca=11_s

Can someone please help me identifie these two saxophones? The corton I have heard is either a yanagisawa or an amati, but with the Majestic I have no idea what it is. Maybe something italian??

BTW, the price their asking is 530 euro for the corton and 265 euro for the Majestic

Thanks!

·
Registered
618 Posts
The alto looks really similar to my Buescher true tone, except for the brace on the underside of the neck.

Key guards, key layout and shape of the neck octave lever all look very similar to my Buescher.

- but I could be wrong -

dv

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The Corton looks like a Dolnet to me. I could be wrong, though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm.. I don't think it's a Buescher because of the neck.. It has a wierd bracing there that mine doesn't have. But the keyguards look similar

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,386 Posts
The Corton is almost certainly by Amati (or just possibly Weltklang) I reckon, and I'd guess that the Majestic is an early Keilwerth or Kohlert or Huller or ...?. I've seen that Buescher-type 'man-in-the-moon' neck brace before on German/Czech saxes, but I can't remember exactly what brand. Have you checked saxpics?

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,187 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool! Then I maybe will buy it.. thanks!
Will maybe come back with more pics and information later if i buy it

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's a Keilwerth, shouldn't it have a tuneable neck?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Majestic Tenor Sax

:shock: Just came upon an old (1940 or 1950) Majestic tenor sax. Is there such an animal out there? And what's its history?:!:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Majestic Tenor Sax

:shock: Just came upon an old (1940 or 1950) Majestic tenor sax. Is there such an animal out there? And what's its history?:!:
I just bought a Majestic tenor the other day. It looks like one from the 1950's and the man I bought it from said it was from either the 50's or 60's.

Back to the point though, I took some pictures of it and started emailing saxophone manufacturers in Italy.

The people at Rampone & Cazzani responded to me saying it looked like a stencil that was produced by Ida Maria Grassi.

I'd talk to a person from IMG now but... I can't find any way to contact anyone who would know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
Re: Majestic Tenor Sax

The people at Rampone & Cazzani responded to me saying it looked like a stencil that was produced by Ida Maria Grassi.
I've started to think R&C says "Grassi" for anything that isn't theirs! ha. I have an alto that is marvelous that just says "Camelot Deluxe." I asked R&C if it was theirs, they said Grassi. I looked at a million Grassi pics online and am positive its not Grassi.

Someone finally told me that there are a bunch of early asian copycat horns flying around that look sort of similar to many other horns on the market. So, I've taken to assuming that's what mine is, and I've given up looking further. It plays great for me, so who cares? Good luck in your hunt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts