Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following discussion is on Tenor sax.

In the last week, I have COMPLETELY changed my embochure, trying to follow all the million things I've picked up on this forum :).

I also read to try to tune on just the neck or just the mouthpiece. The most stable note on the mp + neck seems to be a concert F. Is that correct? Does it vary with the mouthpiece?

also, if i just play the mouthpiece, i can get a whole range of notes, but mostly just alot of squeeks!!!! it is a guardala super king, maybe just too wide to play by itself (anyone know the actual number? .130?)??

I've switch to real soft reeds per another guy's suggestion , "soft LaVoz" or "vandoren java #2".

What note is the mouthpiece supposed to produce (concert pitch) by itself?

Thanks!!

David

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I suggest you try for a concert E (1/2 step lower) on the mouthpiece and neck. The mouthpiece alone should be a concert G (or lower for more of a jazz tone). The common problem seems to be playing too high on the mouthpiece pitch. This can cause a pinched sound, out of tune octaves, and normally sharp notes to be very sharp. Since the mouthpiece pitch is really "tuning" your embouchure pressure, it should not change greatly from one mouthpiece to another. Remember you are playing the mouthpiece---it is not playing you. A softer reed might help you to loosen your embouchure at first, but try to move to a medium strength as soon as you can. Think "OH" inside your mouth and play with fast air when playing the mouthpiece alone. Don't try to play the mouthpiece soft and pretty, blow lots of fast air and play long, loud tones. Good luck. It sounds as if you are doing the right things.

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm.. I agree with all that.

However, as I mentioned I can't get a normal sounding (non squeak) out of the mouthpiece alone at all!!! Anyone have a good reason that i can get a pretty decent sound on the horn, a pretty decent sound on the neck+mp, but a TERRIBLE squeak on the mouthpiece alone?

Also - I am having trouble breaking a terrible habbit. I've been blowing long tones in front of a mirror all week, and I noticed my cheeks really tightening and the corners of my mouth going up as I play higher. Seriously, today I tried for 2 hours to stop that, and I simply could not!! haha maybe I am crazy and just need to keep trying, but is this a common thing that maybe anyone has suggestions about?

ps. i dont know how it took me all these years to find this forum!! You guys should advertize or something :)

~David

·
Registered
599 Posts
It sounds like you're tightening your embouchere with every note that goes up. Try to loosen up - don't be so tense!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
daviddoria said:
Hmmm.. I agree with all that.

However, as I mentioned I can't get a normal sounding (non squeak) out of the mouthpiece alone at all!!! Anyone have a good reason that i can get a pretty decent sound on the horn, a pretty decent sound on the neck+mp, but a TERRIBLE squeak on the mouthpiece alone?
If the mouthpiece alone is squeaking, it means you are biting too hard, or are biting more on one edge of the reed than the other. If your top teeth are uneven, a mouthpiece patch might help. You also might try taking a little bit less of the mouthpiece in the mouth when playing the mouthpiece alone until you get more control.
daviddoria said:
Also - I am having trouble breaking a terrible habit. I've been blowing long tones in front of a mirror all week, and I noticed my cheeks really tightening and the corners of my mouth going up as I play higher. Seriously, today I tried for 2 hours to stop that, and I simply could not!! haha maybe I am crazy and just need to keep trying, but is this a common thing that maybe anyone has suggestions about?
Try blowing a low C as a long tone several times and then play the C scale up and down 2 octaves concentrating on keeping the embouchure exactly the same as it was for the low C. It takes a bit of practice and concentration to keep the embouchure from changing to go high, but it is worth it. Be sure your airstream does change and goes faster as you go higher.

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok - i'll try those things tonight

i noticed that i needed to blow "harder" (i guess faster is correct) when it got a bit higher. now i know that was not a bad thing :)

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts