Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Discussion Starter #1
Just gathering information about Walt Johnson cases. A little late to the game but a friend is selling me his old Walt Johnson tenor case. Any information would be helpful.

Registered
Which of the two designs is he selling you?
I've had my primary Mark VI tenor in a Corona for 20 years. It's still as good as new. IMO the best case ever made with a single big caveat, it's also the heaviest, but I deal with that.
And I've had all major brand cases on other saxes over the years, BAM Softpack, Cabine, Selmer Flight, Hiscox, SKB, Manning, etc.
The WJ hugs the sax just perfectly, allows for no movement. Its internal compartments are just perfect for the basic stuff I need: a dedicated slot for the neck, another for accessories where I store cork grease, mouthpiece swab, sax swab, mouthpiece, reeds, neck strap and even an egg shaker :). And if more space is needed there is always the pouch to store the neck in the bell, something I chose not to do.
I hear the San Diego model dropped in quality but I have no experience with it.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Discussion Starter #3
A friend has a couple San Diego Models and he's selling me one. I just need it for a trip to Belgium - I'm completely happy with my ProTec Conture for daily use. It's a fair price and it closes OK and the latches work. I should have bought the Cabine that was listed on SOTW. I just worry that on my 1 internation trip - I would be the guy that has to check the saxophone.

Registered
The latches were better on the Corona cases, and there were issues with the San Diego cases. Latches seizing up, and fibreglass quality issues.

I heard a rumour that Walt went through a nasty divorce, his wife repossessed the company, and ran it into the ground... But I remember talking to Walt on the phone when ordering a set of Corona cases, and him telling me that he was excited to be maybe moving to Mexico at the time. Must have been around 2004-2006. And then tons of recalled/defective San Diego cases started showing up from Chinese sellers on eBay where the WJ badge had been covered black enamel paint. Ultimately Walt will know whats up, and I think Brian (GetASax) is working with him to make a new line of cases.

Good luck hunting for information!

Registered
That's correct! Walt and I will make an announcement about this once we finalize all the logistics. Going for top quality! On the 'which version is good' question about the older cases, there are several factors at play. As I understand it, as Nick says also, one factory that made them sold defective cases separately itself(!) and that led to some problems with perceived quality. I have owned some very good ones of that latest vintage of cases though, so I think the major issue was the B stock cases getting to market when they should have been scrapped. Not every San Diego case is at all bad. Many are excellent. A second factor is that, a lot of these cases have been used a ton - long past when other brands of cases would have been thrown away and useless. So you have to consider that when looking at quality of cases that are 10-20 years old today. I do think the Corona ones were and are excellent though. Many folks are still using them decades later! That said, the new ones are going to have the same great latches, the same heavy duty D rings and metal feet, the same durable piano hinge, and the same (or better, actually) nesting double handles as the best original WJ cases.

Distinguished SOTW Member
That's correct! Walt and I will make an announcement about this once we finalize all the logistics. Going for top quality! On the 'which version is good' question about the older cases, there are several factors at play. As I understand it, as Nick says also, one factory that made them sold defective cases separately itself(!) and that led to some problems with perceived quality. I have owned some very good ones of that latest vintage of cases though, so I think the major issue was the B stock cases getting to market when they should have been scrapped. Not every San Diego case is at all bad. Many are excellent. A second factor is that, a lot of these cases have been used a ton - long past when other brands of cases would have been thrown away and useless. So you have to consider that when looking at quality of cases that are 10-20 years old today. I do think the Corona ones were and are excellent though. Many folks are still using them decades later! That said, the new ones are going to have the same great latches, the same heavy duty D rings and metal feet, the same durable piano hinge, and the same (or better, actually) nesting double handles as the best original WJ cases.
Any hints on the timeline for these Brian?

Registered
That's correct! Walt and I will make an announcement about this once we finalize all the logistics. Going for top quality!
Looking forward to these!

Brian, please consider adding a second strap for use as a backpack. Like the BAM Cabine for example.

I hope you鈥檒l keep the dual internal compartment for neck and accessories.

Thanks

Registered
Which of the two designs is he selling you?
I've had my primary Mark VI tenor in a Corona for 20 years. It's still as good as new. IMO the best case ever made with a single big caveat, it's also the heaviest, but I deal with that.
And I've had all major brand cases on other saxes over the years, BAM Softpack, Cabine, Selmer Flight, Hiscox, SKB, Manning, etc.
The WJ hugs the sax just perfectly, allows for no movement. Its internal compartments are just perfect for the basic stuff I need: a dedicated slot for the neck, another for accessories where I store cork grease, mouthpiece swab, sax swab, mouthpiece, reeds, neck strap and even an egg shaker :). And if more space is needed there is always the pouch to store the neck in the bell, something I chose not to do.
I hear the San Diego model dropped in quality but I have no experience with it.
I wondered, is the Walt Johnson really that heavy?

So I compared the weight of a WJ Corona vs a class-leading light Bam Cabine, WITH a tenor inside and loaded with all necessary accessories.

Bam Cabine is 7.3 kgs

Walt Johnson is 7.9 kgs

Both are great bags but the WJ is a real tank at a relatively tiny weight premium, combining the exterior protection of a Hiscox (plus, plus) with the sax hugging benefits of the Bam. It doesn't store quite as much as the BAM Softpack but it does allow for 2 necks as the Softpack does (one in the neck compartment and the other in the bell), and it will hold everything else you might need in the other side compartment.

Registered
Yes, the WJ tenor case is that heavy!...that's the only thing that I don't like about it, I think I'm going to be selling mine. I was holding on to it, was going to get another Mark VI, but I'm thinking I'll probably be getting another Super 20 instead. The tenor case that I have is a Corona, my WJ alto case is a San Diego model...I find there's no difference in the build quality, they are both the same.
The Corona tenor case has a lock hasp on it where you can attach a lock to it if you want, the San Diego model does not have one...I've had these cases forever, they look practically brand new and they've been thru a lot, saving my horns each and every time, best cases ever!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts