Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a used Jupiter 520-M cornet two weeks ago, but I never tried a brass instrument before and I don´t feel comfortable with the two mouthpieces that came with the cornet: Jupiter 9E and Besson 7C

I´m a tenor player (0.125" tip opening) and it seems to me they are too small, but I don´t know what size should be good to start on (5C, 3C, 1.5C???).

Any idea?

Thanks!

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
Just as with sax mouthpieces, I don't think the nomenclature for trumpet mouthpieces is standardized. If by chance your pieces match with Bach sizes, then the Besson is small and the Jupiter is very small. You may want to look for a Bach 3 or maybe a Schilke 15 or 16. And there are comparison charts for trumpet mouthpieces too.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Starting with a Bach 3 or Yamaha equiv is normal. Those you list are way too big for a beginner.
Sax mic size has no bearing on brass.

·
Registered
Early 70's Yamaha YTS-21 with a 10MFan Classic 7* 'piece and whatever reed is in the case
126 Posts
In the Bach world the mouthpiece sizes are interpreted this way:

Letter - cup depth
Number - cup size with 1 being the largest

Most beginners start on a 7c or 5c.

·
Registered
Early 70's Yamaha YTS-21 with a 10MFan Classic 7* 'piece and whatever reed is in the case
126 Posts
Glad to hear you found one that works. 1.5C is a pretty common size and should serve you well.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I just started playing cornet— as in about 8 hours ago. My mouthpiece only says “cornet ” on it so I have no idea what size it is but it seems to work ok for now. I’ll probably get a cornet/trombone teacher eventually and can explore options then

Wow these things are fun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts