Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled onto a way of handling cork I wish to share with other members.

I cut the cork in a strip about three times longer than needed . I apply contact cement a little more than needed, , then I use the strip to apply the cement to the part of the mechanism I intend to glue the cork too.

In other words, I use the cork as a spatula. After a few minutes, I put the cork in place using the extra length as a kind of handle which I cut off at the end of this process.

What do you think?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
That would not be possible with Evostick, unless you applied far more than was needed. It dries to gooey stickiness within seconds.

I like to apply the contact glue FIRMLY to each surface, because then it has a better chance of penetrating the rough micro-structure of the surface it is being applied to. Hence better adhesion. Nothing does this better than a finger. A finger also gives excellent control of thickness, and instant feedback (through more friction) if there are parts of the surface not covered.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Gordon, I have been using your 'glue applicator' since you first mentioned it. It works as you describe. Let us hope that 'penetrating rough micro-structure' does not include the micro-structure of our fingers. :) :D . It's probably ok though as I turned 70 a couple of months ago and no apparent damage yet.
Hans

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gordon. Without being tiring, i would like to know how you apply glue with your finger to hard to reach places in the mechanism?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts