Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the same kind of hard particle cork that Yamaha uses on the back bar of the F# and C stack keys. Can anyone tell me where to buy some??? I bought some Ferrees "real cork" but it was very soft and unusable. Thanks.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Yes, MM's cork is good. It's available from many suppliers too. I agree, Ferrees is awful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Not sure if Mauriat saxes still use low density reconstituted cork on their saxes, but that stuff is absolute crap. It compresses too much and breaks up far too easily. It looks crap as well!

The only place I tend to use Rubco on saxes is on the palm key feet as it doesn't compress very much. I mainly use the thinly cut sheets of it for glueing under adjusting screws on oboes and clarinets.

Yanagisawa use it nearly everywhere on their saxes, but it's too hard and creates far too much mechanical noise.

With any materials, you should consider where the best applications are for them and not use them where they will create too much friction or noise and find other materials (or a combination of different materials with different properties) for use in these areas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts