Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a very nice playing upper level saxophone. It's says Mercury Design in USA. The seller told me the parts came from Korea and it was assembled in usa.

Seller said: Double arms on all claps in the low registeres just like the yanagisawa's. Inscription: "Mercury musical design USA" Serial nummer JF0117H8.

It plays incredible, but I can't find any information about this peculiar sax. And the hammer blow is really rare. Have you seem hammer blow (does it translate like this: hamerslag) saxes before? Does anybody have any information about this sax?

Musical instrument Reed instrument Clarinet family Brass instrument Wind instrument

Musical instrument Reed instrument Saxophone Brass instrument Wind instrument

Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Music Nickel

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I saw this sax at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt two or three years ago. I did't play it, because I had no mpc with me. But I played some of there sopranos and man, I really loved the sound! Very rich and colorful, good intonation - yanagisawa copies imo. Very friedly stuff at the boot. But the hammered sax is only produced as alto and tenor.

The website is
www.lk-js.com

but their hammered sax isn't online. According to their brochure, the producers are JinSheng and Beijing FeiFan TianYue Musical Instruments.

Did you buy this one used? How much did you pay? I'm tempted, too!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
That hammer finish is definitely interesting/dramatic. From the one photo, it looks like that finish is inside the instrument (at least the bell) as well, is that true?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Oh, what a beauty!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That hammer finish is definitely interesting/dramatic. From the one photo, it looks like that finish is inside the instrument (at least the bell) as well, is that true?
Yes, the hammer goes inside in the entire instrument.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw this sax at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt two or three years ago. I did't play it, because I had no mpc with me. But I played some of there sopranos and man, I really loved the sound! Very rich and colorful, good intonation - yanagisawa copies imo. Very friedly stuff at the boot. But the hammered sax is only produced as alto and tenor.

The website is
www.lk-js.com

but their hammered sax isn't online. According to their brochure, the producers are JinSheng and Beijing FeiFan TianYue Musical Instruments.

Did you buy this one used? How much did you pay? I'm tempted, too!
It was played at 3 concerts. I bought it from this guy (went to his home) http://www.hendymuziek.nl/webshop/t...ail/68/verkocht--mercury-hamerslag-nieuw.html

I got it for 750 euros in the end.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
Yes, the hammer goes inside in the entire instrument.
Whoa, that seems pretty trippy. Better clean it out well - seems like crud could accumulate in the hollows. I would be interested in what the folks with more acoustic theory knowledge have to say about this design.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoa, that seems pretty trippy. Better clean it out well - seems like crud could accumulate in the hollows. I would be interested in what the folks with more acoustic theory knowledge have to say about this design.
Yeah! Well I should probably add that the hammer looks a bit different on the inside. Less deep (being the back of where the hammer hit?) Also towards the head it becomes a lot finer.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If I recall right, they say, an alto has 20 000 hammer hits and a tenor 30 000. Seems a lot to me.:banghead: There is a soprano and a straight alto with this finish on the website linked above.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,239 Posts
....yes, that is a bit strange, actually. Interesting idea, though....

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
Looks like bad 70's copper art.... butt ugly IMO

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,175 Posts
I see more and more of these being sold around in the Netherlands. Not a bad return considering the buying price at the source and the fact that most are sold “ privately”.

Obviously the buyers think that the hammered “ dimples” are cool and some even think they work the same (they don’t!) as golf balls dimples.

Clearly an example of Cool Vs. Well conceived. Looks over function.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa, tenor: Medusa, bari: B-901, sop: sc-990
7,691 Posts
In theory, would the hammer hits make the metal stronger, weaker or the same?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts