Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'm looking to listen to some cool jazz saxophonists because I would like to emulate that sort of sound of people like Mulligan and Desmond and Young (three of my favorite sax players). They all have that distinctive melodic vibe, sound and feel etc. I just kind of get turned off by all the Bird antics up and down up and down. So can any of you recommend any artists or albums or songs to listen to?

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Bird "antics?" Look, he's not my favorite player, but I sure wouldn't describe the work of one of the most influential guys to pick up a sax as "antics."

That being said, try Stan Getz, or Joe Lovano. In terms of contemporary players, you might like Scott Hamilton.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Zoot Sims and Al Cohn

·
Registered
461 Posts
All excellent recommendations. I'm also a fan of Mark Turner, who has absorbed Warne Marsh more than any modern player I'm aware of.

Also, Paul Gonsalves, a major tenor soloist with Ellington for years.

best!
~Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bird "antics?" Look, he's not my favorite player, but I sure wouldn't describe the work of one of the most influential guys to pick up a sax as "antics."

That being said, try Stan Getz, or Joe Lovano. In terms of contemporary players, you might like Scott Hamilton.
I recognize Parker's skill and technique but for me personally,super fast bebop leaves much to be desired. I am more of a romantic melodic guy. I would rather my horn replace my voice which is why I love the cool jazz era, because I feel these saxaphonists really sing through their horns as if they were wooing their true love.

Thank you all for your suggestions I will start listening...I think Ill check out Warne Marsh first

1 - 8 of 8 Posts