Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two SM98 wired mics, they have the thin mic cable that connects to the battery pack, the battery pack connects to the mixing board via standard XLR mic cable. I would like to convert them to wireless. I found an old post at the Shure support site that says "All Shure systems can be purchased without a microphone, so you do not need to purchase another mic with the wireless." (source) So ny quest is to find the right wireless system. The holy grail would be a two mic system since I play alto and tenor on gigs.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you have a Shure wireless system all you have to do is plug the SM98 directly into the transmitter. Your existing cable will work but is too long for comfort. Shure makes a shorter one about 4' long just for the wireless.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you have a Shure wireless system all you have to do is plug the SM98 directly into the transmitter. Your existing cable will work but is too long for comfort. Shure makes a shorter one about 4' long just for the wireless.
Sorry to disagree but it depends on the wireless. Many Shure wireless systems have a 4 pin mini xlr connector on the bodypack and a 3 pin at the microphone junction for the SM98.

You can order the parts from Shure or someplace like Mouser Electronics to create your own custom length cable for attaching your wireless pack. If your wireless is from another company make sure you follow the wiring specs for the particular unit you're converting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
3 pin at the mic and 4 pin at the transmitter is how the cable is made by Shure. Is that what your cable looks like before it goes into the in line premp? I'm talking about going directly from the mic to the body pack transmitter. The body pack supplies phantom power. I'm using an SM98 like that from a wired setup and I've also rewired an ATM-350 to use as a spare with my Shure ULX.

·
Registered
125 Posts
3 pin at the mic and 4 pin at the transmitter is how the cable is made by Shure. Is that what your cable looks like before it goes into the in line premp? I'm talking about going directly from the mic to the body pack transmitter. The body pack supplies phantom power. I'm using an SM98 like that from a wired setup and I've also rewired an ATM-350 to use as a spare with my Shure ULX.
The bodypack on my Shure wireless uses a 4pin mini canon connector, just as the inline converter from the original kit.

The cables are so ridiculously overpriced from shure, I've made several for my system over the years, hence the caution to make sure of the correct connections.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Will the original long cable that came with the wired system work? I bought a shorter one from Shure that's 6" but forgot the price. I use the Shure WA620 arm pouch to hold my transmitter. It fits around the bell above the bell keys. There's a flap that goes over the top of the transmitter but I tuck it in before I put the transmitter in the pouch. Easier to use the on off switch like that. If I don't use the pouch I just drop it into my left pocket.

·
Registered
320 Posts
jisley you are right about the cable being different. Wireless has 4 pins at the transmitter & 3 at the mic. The wired setup has 3 on each end and will not plug into the transmitter. It appears that Shure has discontinued the shorter 90A4039 cable and is hard to find so it looks like you'd have to do what you do and make your own. I wouldn't mind having one that's about a foot long. Do you sell these?

For the OP, check this out for more info. Check the links at the bottom for additional info.
http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/192/~/sm98-convert-to-wireless-system

·
Registered
125 Posts
Unfortunately I only have the two I made for my system (regular + spare) so I don't have anything for sale.

You can most likely find the specs on the proper wiring diagram online (it is also illustrated on the specifications insert that came with the mic) and just order the parts from some place like Mouser electronics. The canon connectors and thin 4 lead wire shouldn't be hard to locate. The difficult part is soldering the damn things together. Just make sure you wire them correctly!

Good luck...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a wired 98 and would love to make it wireless. Prolly will just end up biting the bullet for a new setup in the near future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts