Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Bam softpack cases for many years. I have had the same tenor Bam softpack case for twelve years that has seen a lot of travel and gig time. I also have a Bam softpack case for alto that has been used for four years and has many years ahead of it.

I am looking to buy a new Silver Series Yani alto in the near future. The case it comes with looks nice but I want to get another contoured case. So while shopping for cases online, I notice that a lot of top end brands expect us to put our necks in the bell. Besides wanting to use bell storage for other things, wouldn’t these companies want to provide maximum safe storage for the necks?? (Is the safest actually inside the bell?).

It seems like I would need to get another Bam Soft pack case or a Jacob Winter case to store my neck outside of the bell of my sax. Has anyone else noticed this and been frustrated by the offerings?

And would anyone have anymore recommendations for me? (Very safe contoured case with specialized neck slot)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
The majority of (older the newer tend all to have one) contoured cases don’t have a neck slot, but there are many which do.

Protecs are indeed among these although in some instances you may have to slightly modify the receptacle. My super 20 tenor, for example, needs you to put a piece of foam in the part where the tenon fits.

I advised this, long ago, to Grumps who was facing the problem on how to fit his tenor in a Protec and he found this to be satisfactory. I have done this for many years.

Another very good case is the BAM made for Selmer ( I am referring to the older model the one with the latches and not the one with the zips). These cases next to a neck slot have a small rectangular space hidden inside under the horn where you can out mouthpieces or a strap. I still prefer the Protec because of the presence of external pockets but if you really want to travel in a very slik and compact case this would be my alternative to a Protec.

Jacob Winter exist both in models with or without a neck slot. Because the slot fits the horn with the neck laying flat the curve may (or may not) fit the one pre-impressed in the foam material.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
The SKB "Pro" case (the one with the little nylon bag on the outside) has, in the tenor version, a very definite slot for the neck. I expect the alto does too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I recommend the Protec contoured cases as well, they fit my MK VI tenor and BA alto great, and I like having the external pockets.

Protecs are indeed among these although in some instances you may have to slightly modify the receptacle. My super 20 tenor, for example, needs you to put a piece of foam in the part where the tenon fits.
I was going to mention that it depends on the neck - it looks like the case was designed for traditional over-the-top octave keys because the neck for my Super 20 tenor with the underslung octave key didn't fit well (underslung alto necks fit fine; the shape of the tenor neck caused it to stick out with the underslung octave). I use a different case for this tenor with a pouch to store the neck in the bell, but I didn't think of trying to modify the compartment - I'll have to try the foam! Thank you for the suggestion.

·
38,885 Posts
Good luck with it, It has worked for me ( and Grumps) for many years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
The majority of (older the newer tend all to have one) contoured cases don’t have a neck slot, but there are many which do.

I advised this, long ago, to Grumps who was facing the problem on how to fit his tenor in a Protec and he found this to be satisfactory. I have done this for many years.

Another very good case is the BAM made for Selmer ( I am referring to the older model the one with the latches and not the one with the zips). These cases next to a neck slot have a small rectangular space hidden inside under the horn where you can out mouthpieces or a strap. I still prefer the Protec because of the presence of external pockets but if you really want to travel in a very slik and compact case this would be my alternative to a Protec.

Jacob Winter exist both in models with or without a neck slot. Because the slot fits the horn with the neck laying flat the curve may (or may not) fit the one pre-impressed in the foam material.
Hmmm.... My S20 necks fit my Protec cases just fine. I'm using the Tenor XL cases, but somewhere I have an older Protec case (Pre XL). I thought there was a S20 in it, but maybe it's a MKVI. I'm going to have to dig it out and check...Either way - The Protec cases are both budget friendly and quite protective. I've fallen down on one and it hurt like hell, but the instrument inside was fine. I've also dropped one a few times (not from very high) with the same results...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Technically the safest place to store the neck would be inside the bell. Given it's in a slightly padded bag it would take some serious trauma to damage it. And if it gets damaged in there, the neck is probably your smallest concern...

·
38,885 Posts
well, even if in a padded pag I don’t like to store anything in the bell at all. I have seen people taking the horn out a bit energetically and the neck came out from the bell falling to the floor .
Better safe than sorry, a place for everything and everything in its place.........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts