Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a ca. 1951-2 "The Martin Tenor" Committee III (serial no. 1786xx) and I need a good contoured/form-fitting case for it. It has a large bell bore, and the low B/Bb keys are on the "wrong" side. Thus the horn is also a bit shorter than modern horns. Looks a lot like this one: http://www.christopherelliottinc.com/Articles.asp?ID=211
I've glanced at ProTec's tenor cases and thought about their XL. But since it seems conventional cases wont work with this horn, I really want to be sure about getting a case for this.
Any suggestions for a specific case from anyone or who knows someone with a horn like this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Re: Contoured/flight case for a vintage Martin tenor?

Well, there's definitely a difference between a regular contoured case and a flight case. Are you actually planning on flying with it, or do you just mean you want a contoured case?

LH bell keys aren't a problem with a few cases. I have a Com. III tenor as well, and it fits just fine in a Pro Tec. The case I've used is an older model, and I believe its equivalent is the XL (it definitely won't fit in a standard due to bell size...I've tried).

But if you're really looking for a flight case, that's another story. I've seen some vintage saxes with LH bell keys squeeze into older Selmer flight cases, but your best bet for a modern flight case would be along the lines of a Hiscox or a Manning custom case.

Flight cases offer more protection, but at a reasonably higher price. Pro Tec cases are just about all I use when it comes to day to day transport of my vintage saxes. They're among the most reasonably priced cases out there that fit older saxes, and while they work very well for everyday moving about...I wouldn't substitute one for a flight case if I was travelling with a sax and it had to go under a plane.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

I've got an SKB-450 case that fits the Buescher tenors very well with the LH bell keys. I would figure it would fit the Martin too.

PS: I love this light-weight contoured case, but I would not consider it a true "flight" case. You probably need something stronger if you are going to be handing it over to airport luggage handlers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts

My Martin altos fit perfectly in the protec contoured and the tenor should too. Not a flight case however but a good everyday hauler. On any case, you may need to flatten some of the innards to accept the bell keys. A small iron can squish it down usually.

·
Registered
184 Posts

My "the Martin Tenor" fits nicely in the regular size Protec Contoured case.

·
6,862 Posts

My "the Martin Tenor" fits nicely in the regular size Protec Contoured case.
Me too. Good Case!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks!
I'm just getting acclimated to the world of cases, so I listed flight case as it seemed a possibility. But after your description, I think I'm really just looking for a contoured case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Thanks! What are the dimensions of your Pro Tec case? Do you have a photo of the sax & case by chance?

·
6,862 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

They have different models they've produced over the years of their contoured cases, so I wanted to be sure. thanks for the pic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts