Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
very old Continental Colonial clarinet that I recently acquired. I am trying to figure out which model it is and the era it was produced in. I am a novice when it comes to clarinets and would appreciate any input with the model and approximate value. I believe this was purchase used at Musicland here in Minnesota back in the 70's
Thanks,
Mike

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
A Vibrator reed! Don't play it - you'll be heartbroken because you'll never find another one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
I don't know the maker, but you may have helped me come closer to identifying mine. I bought several metal clarinets off of Ebay years ago. Some were big name$ and others were oddball names. The one that I kept was the best player and probably worth the least because it didn't have a name. It appears to have had an oval decal on the bell at one point, but that is completely gone now. It looks like that is also what you have. The other distinguishing feature is the lip around the bell. Mine, like yours, is rolled out flat. Most every other metal clarinet, like saxophones, has that area rounded. My serial number is in the same place. My tuning barrel is the same (although the design is shared by some others).

That doesn't answer who made it. My 1964 Purchaser's Guide to the Music Industries lists "Continental" as a trademark, but then doesn't list who claimed the trademark. That probably means that the business was gone by then (i.e., no longer a subscriber), but Music Trades hadn't cleaned up the trademark section. An older Purchaser's Guide might help. But it also might only list a musical instrument distributor and still not indicate who did the manufacturing. The decal might also not even be much help. This could be one of those items that shipped blank and then "Joe's Music Store" could put their own decal on it. Kind of odd that I found it to be the cheapest and best sounding.

It is also the only clarinet that I repadded with a set of Valentino synthetic pads. Synthetic pads, like metal clarinets, don't have many fans. But there is no worrying about the wood cracking or the pads getting stiff/bug eaten. It just sits on a stand for months and years waiting for a real clarinet player (which I am not) to pick it up and be stunned by the sound.

Is the price tag with $125 on it related to the clarinet?

Mark

·
Registered
929 Posts
While I'm not entirely certain, I'm pretty sure this is a Conn Pan-American or Cavalier stencil-it looks rather like Conns I've seen, and the serial number font is identical-Badenia on here can probably tell you what model it is, and I can check some models later to see!
(I recall some continental instruments are Pan-Am stencils, which would lend credence to that.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Continental Colonial saxes are Conn/Pan American stencils. This may or may not be of any help, since I do understand that stencil companies sourced the various instruments they offered from different 'mother' makers...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello:
Thank you very much for your reply. As I stated, I am a novice with clarinets. I would appreciate if you can check some models to see if you can find a match.
Mike

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
I suppose one can do a websearch for images of Conn clarinets and cross reference the images with your photos. I'd imagine that would only take 10-15 minutes or so.

That is how I'd go about it if I had one and wanted to figure out who made it...

Or also try to find any clarinet specific chat boards perhaps ?

·
Registered
929 Posts
A Cavalier, perhaps? It looks pretty close to a model 92N, other than the lack of a garland (or Kranz, if you speak German.) around the bell.
Here's an example of that: https://www.ebay.com/itm/C-G-Conn-C...t-Indiana-USA-Metal-In-Case-1911/163486935028
The 80000ish serial makes me suspect it's a Pan-Am, though. I know some Pan-Ams had the same garland, as shown by this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-C-...-SERIAL-No-123351-amp-HARD-CASE-/292768050783
Like I said, Badenia should have a pretty good idea of what model Pan-Am or Cavalier this is. (I only tend to know the Cavalier models as being named 98N and 92N, because they're the only two I see with significant regularity. (read: a metric ton of them on the internet and in antique shops.)

·
Fan Of Pan Am
407 Posts
Hi,

True-Tone alerted me to this question. This is a stencil of the Pan American model 62N Special, vintage circa 1949.

The model 62N is a very close follow-up by Pan American to the Pre-WWI Cavalier model 92N. There are some differences though: the thumb rest and flat bell ring are the most obvious.

As True-Tone indicated: Continental Colonial instrument were Pan American model stencils, while Continental Clarion and Cadet were Cavalier stencils.

Best to all.

btw - the studies are continuing. I was hoping to publish updates to Pan American and add Cavalier before the new year, but the volumes slowed down in term of acquiring registrations. I still plan on doing some publishing soon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
Here are some pictures of mine. Same thumb rest, flat rim, tuning barrel, etc. You can see where some kind of sticker or decal is now gone. The outside has a satin finish which I don't think is silver plate because it does not tarnish. The inside of the bell is a smooth silver finish that tarnishes. I bought an inexpensive long clarinet case off of Ebay. It's not good to store a regular clarinet with the sections together, so the case wouldn't be good for most. But for the metal it is fine (except that the length is also enough for the mouthpiece to be stored in place; not good).

Mark

View attachment 225334 View attachment 225336 View attachment 225338 View attachment 225340 View attachment 225342

1 - 11 of 11 Posts