Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello peoples, I need contemporary music to play. So can you guys tell me some good songs that fit under this? I play alto saxophone and i'm going to have one guitar as a rhytum person (if thats how you say it).
Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
aviator875 said:
hello peoples, I need contemporary music to play. So can you guys tell me some good songs that fit under this? I play alto saxophone and i'm going to have one guitar as a rhytum person (if thats how you say it).
Thanks
check out Dave Koz "You make me smile", and any Boney James, Richard Elliot, Kirk Whalum, Gerald Albright, & Pieces of a Dream song. Brian Culbertson has some nice grooves too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Check out Mark McClure's POWER OF YOUR LOVE collection. You can get Bb and Eb versions of the book. I own the Eb version and have access to the Bb. Mark put a modern, almost smooth jazz feel to some newer and not so new Christian tunes. It comes with a background CD but also with a piano score with chords that a guitarist could read. In fact I'm playing 2 of the numbers at my former church in Pennsylvania on Aug. 12, using the CD.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,443 Posts
Any of the songs in any of the hymnals are written such that you can comtemporize and personalize them. Pick one of your favorites, or, if you know the theme of the service, pick a appropriate song that matches the theme and "embellish" it. Don't totally hide the melody. Keep enough of the melody that folks can recognize it and follow along with the words in their heads if they so desire. Plenty of opportunity to improvise in those tunes if that's what you're looking for. If you've got something to say that will add to and not detract from the intent of the original, that is.

Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry guys for not describing it right. what i really meant was do you guys know some music that sounds like hillsong united stuff, chris tomlin or some other music like that stuff that would be good for offetory music? thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
Take Ron's advice - he and I played from the same book! Real decent arrangements. Check it out!

·
Registered
358 Posts
There are approximately one gazillion Chris Tomlin and Hillsong United books out there. Just transpose for your sax and get it on.

If you're playing with only a guitarist as your accompaniment, simply give him the tabs and tell him the feel/style you want. If he can't pick up on your style you might be in trouble from the start on that one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts