Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It turns out I listen to a lot of tenor players. A professor pointed out I should try to find my alto players to find. Since it was a brief discussion, I told her I would take care of it on my own and let her get to what she needed to do at the time.

I've got a pretty solid list of the normal guys. Stitt, Cannonball, Hodges, Bird, etc. I realize that, with modern players it seems I only listen to tenor players. Chris Potter, Joshua Redman, Jeff Coffin, etc etc. My alto list seems to be... Donald Harrison and Kenny Garrett.

Could someone recommend a few other players to take a look at?

Thanks a lot,
Bubba06

·
Registered
923 Posts
Bobby Watson
Richard Underhill
Wes Anderson
Bob Mover

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
You're looking for the players who would be in their 40s and younger, give or take, right?

Migeul Zenon
Rudresh Mahanthappa (my son's roommate at UNT)
Tineke Postma
Antonio Hart
Candy Dulfer (not really jazz but IMO should be listened to and on the list)
Vincent Herring
Tim Price

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're looking for the players who would be in their 40s and younger, give or take, right?

Migeul Zenon
Rudresh Mahanthappa (my son's roommate at UNT)
Tineke Postma
Antonio Hart
Candy Dulfer (not really jazz but IMO should be listened to and on the list)
Vincent Herring
Tim Price
Bobby Watson
Richard Underhill
Wes Anderson
Bob Mover
I suppose I knew more than I expected. I've got a few Bobby Watson, Antonio Hart, and Wes Anderson albums. All of which I got to meet at some point.
There was one album I heard of Anotonio Hart's which I detested and gave me a bad taste in my mouth ever since. I'll make an attempt at listening to more of him, he's great in concert though. I just realized I've never really listened to any Tim Price, I'll take a look.

[Edit: I wasn't necessarily basing off of their age. More they're musical styles. (Donald Harrison was born in 1960.) Just players who are pushing forward I suppose. Though I always thought Donald had a really great mixture of his New Orleans roots in his new sound.]

Thanks so far!
-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Forgot Steve Coleman. Also Gerald Albright (not the smooth stuff, his straight ahead work). John Zorn too. Lots of great alto players out there.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was under the influence cats like Sanborn, Candy Dulfer, Eric Marienthal, Gerald Albright didn't play straight stuff. Could someone throw a couple album names at me?

(Just so you don't get the impression I'm lazy, I'm checking out a few guys:)

-Bubba-

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I was under the influence cats like Sanborn, Candy Dulfer, Eric Marienthal, Gerald Albright didn't play straight stuff. Could someone throw a couple album names at me? (Just so you don't get the impression I'm lazy, I'm checking out a few guys:)
-Bubba-
I included Candy because I believe any listening list of major contemporary alto players should have her included regardless of genre.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Loren Stillman - Trio Alto #1, Brothers Breakfast, Blind Date...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Will Vinson-IMO the future of alto playing
Mike Dirubbo-Straight-ahead monster
Jon Irabagon-Monk winner,very verstile
Tim Green-Scary good newcomer

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Sadao Watanabe
Candy Dulfer

·
Registered
923 Posts
I was under the influence cats like Sanborn, Candy Dulfer, Eric Marienthal, Gerald Albright didn't play straight stuff. Could someone throw a couple album names at me?

(Just so you don't get the impression I'm lazy, I'm checking out a few guys:)

-Bubba-
Albright - "Live at Birdland West" - never let it be said that smooth guys can't play real jazz.
Sanborn - "Another Hand" - not exactly straight ahead, but definitely not his standard run-of-the-mill pop fusion stuff. Really interesting album (Lenny Pickett's on there playing alto clarinet!)

FWIW, Tom Scott's also got a straight-ahead album called "Born Again" where he tears it up on alto. That one's a great listen...fantastic small-group arrangements with Pete Christlieb on tenor, Roger Rosenberg on bari, etc. Really cool.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts