Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the hardware store to get contact cement for a neck recork. The cement package (Weldwood brand) said "Not for use on metals containing copper," which, of course, brass is.

Any knowledge of this problem? Is it a problem? If so, what's the solution? Everybody says use contact cement, so what kind are people using?

Any nudges in the direction of enlightenment will be heartily welcomed.

SteveM

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I have used Weldwood for many years with no ill effects to the brass whatsoever. Weldwood and Barge seem to be the two most popular brands used by tech in the states. I have tried the Barge brand and the odor is too strong for my small shop area.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
This is great, we share (to name a few, admittedly sometimes loosely...) the same language, culture, and musical tastes between the US and UK - but product names like Weldwood, Barge, Elmer's etc. don't yet seem to have bridged the continental divide [rolleyes]

Athough I notice that (US) Arm & Hammer toothpaste is taking the first tentative steps onto UK supermarket shelves, maybe the adhesives will follow ? No company really ever 're-invents the wheel', so wouldn't a 'global comparison chart' of very similar products be useful, the local names usually are just a cultural/feel-good thing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And of course, we have Kit Kats here, so I think we get the better end of the deal. Unless you're a major toothpaste enthusiast.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
We, in the UK, are inundated by European Health & Safety rules, put in place by "they who know best".
If we took notice of the mandatory small print on every item we buy, it would be far too dangerous to eat anything, drive anything, machine anything, or actually do anything at all...all much too dangerous!
With glue, "they who know best" would have a field day...all those nasty solvents, perish the thought....we could never be trusted to use that.
If it works, use it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,795 Posts
well, well, this doesn't appear to be a health and safety problem but more the company trying to preventively fend off possible law suits from those who might use this product and not be completely satisfied by the results on metals containing brass (among whom owner of expensive saxophones might be turning sour at them if they were to be less than pleased with the results)

Knowing a few aspects of the (food ) trade with England , " they who know best" and put serious rules and hurdles in place are not so much in Bruxelles but in England itself . I only know of one other place in the world where the rules are more stringent and that is California ( and not necessarily the rest of the USA!)

·
4,022 Posts
No company really ever 're-invents the wheel', so wouldn't a 'global comparison chart' of very similar products be useful, the local names usually are just a cultural/feel-good thing.
Sometimes they aren't even consistent across one country (e.g. Hardee's/Carl's Jr. or Hellmann's/Best Foods). Good luck with that. ;)

·
6,715 Posts
well, well, this doesn't appear to be a health and safety problem but more the company trying to preventively fend off possible law suits from those who might use this product and not be completely satisfied by the results on metals containing brass (among whom owner of expensive saxophones might be turning sour at them if they were to be less than pleased with the results)

Knowing a few aspects of the (food ) trade with England , " they who know best" and put serious rules and hurdles in place are not so much in Bruxelles but in England itself . I only know of one other place in the world where the rules are more stringent and that is California ( and not necessarily the rest of the USA!)
More that 80% of our laws are spawned in Europe...the difference is that the majority
of European countries understandably ignore their regs, we in the UK, timidly obey.
You are correct, it is a "possible legislation" issue here. It matters little, as it all militates towards the general scheme of not being allowed to do anything for reasons known only to thin lipped Pressure Groups; H&S, Human Rights, Legal Recriminations, Animal Rights, Anti Motorist, Greens....et al.
Their particular title is of little importance....they all aim to restrict.....we must remember that "they know best". :evil:
All these Pressure Groups appear to govern us with their dubious, somewhat naive, opinions & policies.
I understand those who smoke, not because they like it, but because it is still legal....just.

·
38,795 Posts
well, without getting political, " they who know best" might make us feel sometimes as the restrict our capability to breathe but , believe me, if there would be no or a lot less rules, as many say that they would like to see , there would be many wolves taking the chance to do VERY BAD things that you and I might not do but they certainly will. It was Thomas Hobbes who said that " Homo homini lupus " ( "man is a wolf to [his fellow] man." ) which means that the worst enemy of the mankind is ultimately the mankind.

·
6,715 Posts
well, without getting political, " they who know best" might make us feel sometimes as the restrict our capability to breathe but , believe me, if there would be no or a lot less rules, as many say that they would like to see , there would be many wolves taking the chance to do VERY BAD things that you and I might not do but they certainly will. It was Thomas Hobbes who said that " Homo homini lupus " ( "man is a wolf to [his fellow] man." ) which means that the worst enemy of the mankind is ultimately the mankind.
Clearly you are much more compliant than I.
I prefer the old approach, which worked well...fewer rules & more allowance for common sense. This approach is, incidentally, far less expensive.
There are, and always have been sharks out there.
Now we have another tier....those who should be protecting us.

·
38,795 Posts
the old approach was working well as long as the majority of the people were abiding decency and fair play, I am afraid this is ever increasingly no longer being the case

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
This is great, we share (to name a few, admittedly sometimes loosely...) the same language, culture, and musical tastes between the US and UK - but product names like Weldwood, Barge, Elmer's etc. don't yet seem to have bridged the continental divide [rolleyes]

Athough I notice that (US) Arm & Hammer toothpaste is taking the first tentative steps onto UK supermarket shelves, maybe the adhesives will follow ? No company really ever 're-invents the wheel', so wouldn't a 'global comparison chart' of very similar products be useful, the local names usually are just a cultural/feel-good thing.
I'll beat Gordon to the punch here. :bluewink: Evo-stik seems to be the popular brand in the U.K. I went to the expense to order a tube from across the pond and didn't quite see what the fuss was all about after comparing it to what I use already, but Gordon in NZ likes it and that recommendation should be good enough for anyone who does repair.

·
6,715 Posts
I'll beat Gordon to the punch here. :bluewink: Evo-stik seems to be the popular brand in the U.K. I went to the expense to order a tube from across the pond and didn't quite see what the fuss was all about after comparing it to what I use already, but Gordon in NZ likes it and that recommendation should be good enough for anyone who does repair.
Again, there is an issue with Evostick. It certainly USED to be perfect, but now, sadly , it is less so.
"They who know best" deemed the solvents to be unsafe, & consequently, the formula has been changed. Yet another example of the Nanny State deciding that we cannot be trusted.
There was a thread here on the diminished effectiveness of Evostick. :cry:
Gordon probably bought his in 1927. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Again, there is an issue with Evostick. It certainly USED to be perfect, but now, sadly , it is less so.........
I only seem to use three types of adhesive these days, either 'gel' superglue, or E6000 - and obviously two-part epoxy at times - depending on application.

Most of the original UK 'contact' adhesives, Bostick, Evostick etc., seem to have lost quite a bit of effectiveness when the solvents were phased out a while back, but I can still remember that smell :tsk:

·
6,715 Posts
but I can still remember that smell :tsk:
Ahhh yes, that smell.....not allowed any more.
The other day I wanted to fuse two plastic parts together...when I asked for some Chloroform at the local chemist I was given the distinct impression that I would have met with more success had I asked for an Uzi.
The only substance which is more effective now than it was in the 60's is still illegal. :bluewink:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know of two easily obtained substancies to which ordinary water if added in a minute drop will cause it to burst into flame, a very hot one at that. Will "they who know best" be banning water??????

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, illegal some places for some uses. I live in an enlightened community called California.

But getting back briefly to the contact cement, what got my attention was that copper was singled out. It was the only metal. There was a long list of the things you can bond with it. And then it said, "Not for use on metals containing copper." I think I will experiment on bit of scrap brass before unleashing it on my 1921 TT.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know of two easily obtained substancies to which ordinary water if added in a minute drop will cause it to burst into flame, a very hot one at that. Will "they who know best" be banning water??????
"They" are more likely to regulate the other two substances. In any case, I am sure they wouldn't ban water, they'd just regulate its distribution on a need basis.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts