Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm wanting to try and potentially buy a Francois Louis Ligature for both my hard rubber and my metal tenor pieces. The store that closest to me charges around $85 for them, vs the $68 on WWBW. My question is this: If I like the ligatures enough to buy them (which I think I will; I've played them in the past and really liked them, just didn't think about buying them back then), would I be better off buying it more expensively at the store, or just getting it online? If these ligatures are really consistent from ligature to ligature, I'd rather not waste the extra money. If anything, I might ask the store if they could just price match the ligatures to the ones on WWBW, but in the situation where that didn't work out, I wanted to hear your guys' opinions and experience with the FL Ligature, and if you've played multiple ones, whether or not they are consistent.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
You could play 100 of them and not notice a difference from one to the next. So yes, they are consistent. What you get from WWBW will be the same thing as from your local store, so if you can save $17, do it. You can find a ligature that will work as well for far less money, but that's another issue. If the FL fits your mpc properly, it should work just as well as a simple 2 screw lig; the main difference is you'll play more for the FL.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,799 Posts
they are as consistent as any ligature could possibly be.

Get iit on line and don’t waste any money.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Does anyone actually purchase a ligature by testing multiple examples of the exact same model, the way one might do with a mouthpiece or horn? I have never encountered that approach before. It's debatable whether, say, a Rovner Versa "performs" differently than a Vandoren M|O, but plenty of people seem to think so, and I assume they simply purchase the one they prefer. I find it almost impossible to believe that one M|O would "perform" differently than an identical M|O. There really aren't any meaningful dimensional, quality-control, or setup variables, IMO.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Does anyone actually purchase a ligature by testing multiple examples of the exact same model, the way one might do with a mouthpiece or horn? I have never encountered that approach before. It's debatable whether, say, a Rovner Versa "performs" differently than a Vandoren M|O, but plenty of people seem to think so, and I assume they simply purchase the one they prefer. I find it almost impossible to believe that one M|O would "perform" differently than an identical M|O. There really aren't any meaningful dimensional, quality-control, or setup variables, IMO.
yes, in the Twilight Zone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never done this with ligatures, but I've also never had the opportunity to. I could imagine that multiple ligatures that were the same kind would play similar, but lots of my saxophone teachers and people that I follow and respect on YouTube have talked about how the same brand/type of ligature can vary slightly as you go from one to the next, which is why I also wanted to get opinions from people on this forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts