Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently play a Selmer Soloist C*, not a soloist style, on tenor. I play mainly legit and at church, but I am at the point to where a Vandoren blue box 4 is still not quite hard enough. I was wondering whether I should have this opened up, or keep using the hard reeds? I like the overall sound, but I don't feel like this moving up in reeds is the best idea. A 4 is almost too soft. Should I have this refaced? Or should I sell it and get a different mouthpiece?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Your set-up seems fine for the type of music you play. A C* is quite close (.83 I think), but I believe a lot of classical players use them. A more open tip will give you more loudness and flexibilty. My suggestion would be to try some pieces in the .95 to 100 area with the same or a softer reed to see how you like it. Most of us started with a C* or the equivalent. Weiner and WWBW have fairly liberal trial policies. Send them back and have your tip opened or keep one and use it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This setup has worked fine for me in high school and college, but my thought is that when I graduate, I won't be doing much classical work. I'm not intending on going to grad school as I plan on become a repairman. My thought was that when I graduate next year, I'll need a piece that is more well rounded. I know that there isn't much work for someone with only a bachelor's degree in the classical world.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
If you like how your current piece plays, I would keep it, and follow spike's suggestion to try some other more open pieces to see how they work. That way you have your known setup that you know works for you, at least for some kinds of music. Then if you find a more open piece you like, you can switch to that, either for everything or for certain types of gigs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Assuming it indeed has the right tip opening for a C*, the fact that a 4 is almost too soft means it has a very nice facing. Dont have it refaced.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I would leave it alone and look at some other mouthpieces. For that style of tenor playing, I like about a .085" tip (Your C* should be about a .071" tip). Look at a Morgan Protone or BARI Esprit which are both very nice for the money and should fit your style of playing from the description. I played Wind Ensemble tenor on a Link HR 5* and found the ESPRIT to be very similar for very little money. If you venture into more big band playing, give the Rico Graftonites a try.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading these responses, I'll go ahead and look into another piece. I'm very interested in the Espirit that you mentioned Bruce. I just read some good things about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts