Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an older intermediate alto player who got started studying with seriousness about 7 years ago. I am taking weekly lessons and am enrolled in the big band program at the local JC. But I feel I need to do more to progress faster.

Does anyone have any info on the Jamey Aebersold Summer Band Camp as to how it may or may not help me? Any recent attendees?

Phil

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
The best thing about the Aebersold camps is the evening concerts. As far as the educators there is a lot of dead weight, but he usually brings some really good players like Rich Perry and Scott Wendholdt. As far as being older, there are all ages at the camps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Phil,

I am considering going to an Aebersold camp as well at some point. I am older (54) and have only been playing four years, so age is an issue for me as well.

I understand that the Tritone Jazz Camps specialize in older players:
http://www.tritonejazz.com/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,321 Posts
Last New Years Eve gig I met a "piano player" who was actually a sax player(50+ yo). [His telling me this was his way of apologizing for his piano "playing." :) ]Anyhow, he went to an Aebersold camp and enjoyed it so much that he planned to go to another. The only thing that he said that resembled a complaint was that there was an over abundance of some instruments in some of the groups, they had to wait and share playing time.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts

·
Banned
333 Posts
Go. They're great. Great atmosphere & great concerts. (I went to them in when I was in HS, in the early 80s, but have friends that work at them now & tell me they really enjoy it)

As an adult student, keep an open mind, don't feel nervous or intimidated by the artists/teachers or the High School phenomns (if they're are any) and I guarantee you'll have a great experience.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Selmer's_glu said:
Go. They're great. Great atmosphere & great concerts. (I went to them in when I was in HS, in the early 80s, but have friends that work at them now & tell me they really enjoy it)

As an adult student, keep an open mind, don't feel nervous or intimidated by the artists/teachers or the High School phenomns (if they're are any) and I guarantee you'll have a great experience.
They are great. The one I attended had Jamey, Joe Henderson, Woody Shaw, David Baker, Gary Burton, Rufus Reed, Jerry Hahn, and I forget who else.

Also, there were, even then, older guys. I remember a anthro professor attending the one I went to. I think he was in his fifties at the time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
961 Posts
I went in 2003, and I can still feel the impact today in terms of motivation. I was older (59), and I actually sat down with one of the instructors and asked if they resented older players for whom jazz is often more of a serious hobby than a career path........... his answer was very interesting.......... he said that in general they much preferred the older players because they were so eager to learn everything they could, while many of the younger players were more concerned with sneaking around the dorms at night, and other discipline problems........... in any event, there is a broad age spectrum represented ...... I once played with a ten-year old piano player (he was there with his father) and an 80+ year old tenor player who had actually played in one of the old swing bands in the 40's.............

·
Registered
91 Posts
Aebersold camps.......

GO GO GO...... I was there when Eric Alexander and Rick Von Matre were there. I got LOTS of individual attention. I even spent 2 hours one afternoon with Rick on his own because he really wants you to get IT.
Lots of diversity. Lots of kids. lots of older adults and all ranges of experience. You get out of it what you put into it...........Price was most reasonable. I stayed on campus and roomed with my trumpet player buddy and we had a blast. GO,......what else ya gonna do!?!?!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
799 Posts
Well, now I know what I'm going to do instead of motorcycle rallies next year. I would go this year, but I already plan to go to Sturgis in August, and it's kind of short notice at this point anyway. Definitely going next year though.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Just a note of clarification to the Original Poster: You were referring to the Aebersold camps as "Band" camps. As I understand it, the Aebersold camps do not have Big Bands. They are strictly improvisation and small-group camps.

I mention this because you said you are playing in a big band. If you're looking for more experience like that, the Aebersold camps won't be the place.

For improvisation and small-group playing, they're fantastic.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
, Joe Henderson, etc
Band camp with Joe Henderson, eh? Not bad :D. The nearest i came to that was church camp - the scary lady organist turned up for a couple of nights and we sang a few miserable choruses of "I'm in tthe Lord's Armeee" with piano accompaniment..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to a JA camp about 20 years ago, and to be honest, felt it akin a jazz concentration camp. Their idea of improvizing was to run 1-2-3-5 patterns against chords which is not very musical. I got much more out of going to jam sessions and shedding. I went to the Maryland jazz czmp a couple summers back and enjoyed it more, although the drive was too much. I would much rather get together with guys in my area and learn tunes, thats what its about. I play bass so if any of you live in the western CT or adjacent NY area, send me a line and we can run thru tunes.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Jamie Oversold is what he's called in some quarters. It would seem to me that you could get the same info from his books, but it's always fun to go to camp.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow this post has been running for sevral years...Jamie Oversold...I like that. Now theres a question yes they have like four hundred campers per session but if you look at their facilty rooster it looks like there are enough people to handle the situation. Maybe I am wrong. The TriTone camp which is adult orientated is much smaller(less than a hundred people)but they also seem to have far fewer instructors so??? I am going to one of these camps this summer its just figuring out which will be the best fit for me. TriTone is almost fifty percent more in cost than abersold and that of course will be a factor. Oh and no you can't get it from his books. The interaction of other players with the added help of a director or instructor will make a huge difference. I played along with jamie's cds for years and when I first started playing with others I was totally lost but the big question still remains WHICH CAMP IS BEST?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts