Sax on the Web Forum banner

Conny Tranny alto with a roaring low b flat

960 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  daigle65 
#1 ·
Sittin here with a friend messing around with a tranny alto with the opposing bell keys.

It is newly repaddedand regulated and palys like a dream.

The low B flat has some sort of sympathetic vibration that just roars. It's really obvious. This is not the warble that we all know and hate. The louder you play, the more it roars. Weve gone all around the horn looking for loose or vibrating keys, keys or springs. Any ideas?

Steve

#2 ·
qwerty said:
Sittin here with a friend messing around with a tranny alto with the opposing bell keys.

It is newly repaddedand regulated and palys like a dream.

The low B flat has some sort of sympathetic vibration that just roars. It's really obvious. This is not the warble that we all know and hate. The louder you play, the more it roars. Weve gone all around the horn looking for loose or vibrating keys, keys or springs. Any ideas?

Steve
Reaching out and catching the vibe through the medium of senso-o-rama i predict this relates to a bout of madly bouncing low E flat.

#3 ·
Since two of you are there, have one play the note and the other touch various parts of the horn until the vibration stops, or you can feel where it's coming from. If for instance it's a madly flapping e-flat key, you'll find that quickly!:D

No funny stuff though. . . .:twisted:

#7 ·
I had a ligature screw that was loose and rattled around on a couple of notes, went crazy with checking every part of the instrument. Took forever. Now, its the first thing I check any time I get a funny buzz.

#8 ·
I had a similar experience with my BA a couple of weeks after I bought it.
My tech was out of town and his apprentice couldn't figure it out.

It took me a while but I finally figured it out.
The arm for the low C was touching the Eb spring making it open slightly, so every note below C# had a distinct sub-harmonic, very strange.
I had my tech file down the C arm a bit and the problem was solved.
I guess a couple of weeks of playing changed the pad heights and this problem appeared.

You could check for this problem by putting a piece of cork between the Eb key and the gard, then play your low notes to see if the warble is still there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.