Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have big hands, and I have worked in construction since, for ever.

I find the Conn horns fit my hands just right and could never get comfortable with a Mk VI. I even don't get the complaint of the left hand pinky tables.
The Conn new wonder, Tenor and alto have got to be near perfect for my size hands and the G# is so easy and impossible to miss.
The only old horn that seems to be built for un-natural hands is my 31 Buescher Bari. The Conn side keys and palm keys are fine. The only thing I would have changed was a movable thumb hook as after time the angle digs into my thumb.

I can see why some old timers weren't that impressed with more modern pinky tables.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,464 Posts
I wear a 4X glove when I can find them, and I also like the feel of my 10M and NW bari. When I pick up a VI tenor, the G and G# keys are just too close for comfort (my pinkies are somewhat offset to boot). Funny, before I got the 10M, I had played a VII tenor since the late 70's. Never understood the gripe about the keywork there either...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
I am the opposite. My Chu Tenor is just too big. Although I am not picky about key placement on anything, I find I miss the G# key and can't reach the bis.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I like the RH side on a 10M, C / Eb and RH side keys feel nice and close together (for my hands) and are easy to hit. Side Bb is directly under my hand and just a small move with the wrist and you're on the side Eb.
I prefer my Crats left hand pinky though.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have got to try out some Bueschers too.
There is a whole uncharted world for me out there as I see it.
I only have the one Bari from 31 and its weird for my hands but if I play it in front of me its good. That horn has a great thick growl.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bruce bailey said:
I am the opposite. My Chu Tenor is just too big. Although I am not picky about key placement on anything, I find I miss the G# key and can't reach the bis.
That is what the Conn Bass was like when I started playing that. It is also rounded off in every direction, so in the summer, on a hot sweaty day, its a risky shot to hit it. This is a case I have to open my hands up like I'm grabbing something and extend my pinkie.

Some of the guys in our quartet echoed your sympathies as their hands are Selmerized.

I have to take a look at some Aristocrats next.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
As the horns get smaller, the fingering gets easier. For instance, while some complain that the Conn soprano has very tight fingering, it fits me and my smallish hands just fine.

I haven't really had a huge issue with Conns. I had the bis key on my Chu modified to take the larger 10M pearl, which makes Bis a lot easier to facilitate.

I find the Aristocrat very comfortable to play. The action is typical vintage American, but my hands fit the 'crat very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts