1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I have never understood why people do not like the chord scale approach. Maybe when they were taught it, they were taught it wrong or in a confusing way. Read the reviews for the book, they are not very strong. I think this book would be good for someone who already has a strong foundation with chord scale and wants another avenue of improvisation to explore.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I just looked it up. I try to do that in my improvising ie.: 7th to 3rd resolution sometimes with leaps rather than scales between. It even works while playing over a static modal groove by implying II-V sequences which pushes the improv line along where just pentatoic or blues scales can get tedious.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Great book. I sell it myself. Good to consider many roads.

Bert Ligon also publishes others you might like.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.
@Andre - i am not totally against chord/scale but I find it harder to process mentally in a lot of situations

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
I am actually working on this book right now. I picked it up this month and intend to stay with it for a whole year. I am doing the exercises at the end of the book as a daily warm up practice. One key each day, major and minor, for a whole hour. Then I learn the phrases in the first part of the book, chose the ones that I like best and transpose those to all 12 keys. It's a lot of work (thus the whole-year plan), but it's refreshing and keeps practice time exciting.

Good luck to you on using the book!

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,786 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
biased downward by a single negative 1-star review that refers to a malfunctioning CD when the book doesn't even include a CD.
That is really unbelievable!! Yes, I confirm, no CD. But I don't feel the need for one. It's an excellent book, trust me, one of the very best out there! It focuses almost exclusively on the many approaches that great jazz musicians have taken to the ii - V - I (major and minor) progression. Hundreds of great phrases from people such as Charlie Parker, Tom Harrell, Clifford Brown, Freddie Hubbard, Sonny Stitt, etc., etc., with analysis of each phrase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts