Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First improvement is a simpler high F Key:
Musical instrument Reed instrument Clarinet family Wind instrument Brass instrument Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument
1919 Wonder ^ | 1920 New Wonder ^

Its hard to tell, but the palm key tone holes are Larger on the 1919 Wonder

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Octave Pip Switching

Improvement to the octave pip switching mechanism:
Cylinder Bicycle part Gas Nickel Household hardware Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Pipe Metal

On the 1920 the highest Side key is waaay easier to remove because of these improvements. On the 1919 the whole upper stack has to come off :(

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Low C and Normal Eb

Improvement to the Low C and Normal Eb keys:
Bicycle part Bicycle fork Automotive exhaust Gas Nickel Automotive tire Bicycle fork Gas Automotive exhaust Brass instrument

On the 1919 I had to specially bend the long spring for the Eb around the spring and hook for the Low C otherwise they interfered with eachother. On the 1920 they come from different posts... much improved.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spatula Key Differences

The different designs of the spatula keys from model to model:
Musical instrument Fluid Wind instrument Brass instrument Music Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Music Gas

The 1919 has no rollers right now... I had to crush them all :(

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engravings

Differences in engravings:
Cylinder Gas Metal Glass Fixture Automotive tire Wood Tints and shades Gas Fender

The New Wonder gains the Art Deco Floral Engravings... :)
Also a huge "pseudo improvement" is the implementation of rolled tone holes on the New Wonder Series as you can see on the low Bb tone holes...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will continue my report with measurements on the palm key tone holes to see what differences are there...

.......... not tonight...... I'm tired from sax rebuilding :) ....... Goodnight SOTW

·
Registered
659 Posts
Re: Engravings

View attachment 29219 View attachment 29220

Also a huge "pseudo improvement" is the implementation of rolled tone holes on the New Wonder Series as you can see on the low Bb tone holes...
My 1920 does not have rth. Is there a reason? It is a c-melody if that matters.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts

Improvements were usually introduced on alto and tenor models first. As per "saxpics" the first rolled tone holes showed up on altos in 1917, but Margaret Downie Banks has them appearing in 1919 with a 1914 patent date. It could be that prototypes showed up before 1919, and that's why saxpics has the earlier date. I have a 1920 Conn bari that does not have the rolled tone holes either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,604 Posts
I had 1915 and 1917 baris with straight tone holes and currently have 1923 and 1924, both with rolled tone holes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

It is possible to remove rth... although I don't know why someone would unless they were so badly filed down....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts

View attachment 29219 View attachment 29220

You could have had them before, it's just that this particular horn wasn't ordered that way. The plain brass (yours) and nickel plated saxes were not engraved till the early 1930s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
Conns and mostly C Melodies can have a mixture of parts not following the serial numbers. I have a Conn gold plated C melody that is a Chu (octave lever, Nail File G#) but the serial number is from 1924. Sometimes a body is stamped with the number and not assembled until later. I suspect they had a gold plated body hanging around....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Conns and mostly C Melodies can have a mixture of parts not following the serial numbers. I have a Conn gold plated C melody that is a Chu (octave lever, Nail File G#) but the serial number is from 1924. Sometimes a body is stamped with the number and not assembled until later. I suspect they had a gold plated body hanging around....
You do find some interesting ones Bruce... :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

You could have had them before, it's just that this particular horn wasn't ordered that way. The plain brass (yours) and nickel plated saxes were not engraved till the early 1930s.
These are both silverplate... I don't have a plain brass horn....... yet

·
Registered
233 Posts
Great review Danny, I play a 1916 Conn Wonder tenor, I actually have dominated his complications and I feel so comfortable with it, but it would be interesting that you can describe a comparison between these two tenors in sound terms. What do you think????

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thankyou Fernando, I will try to explain what differences I find in these. First off, in terms of feel of the mechanisms, the New Wonder wins hands down. The octave switch seems to be less wobbly and faster than the Wonder. All of the mechanisms that were improved feel smoother and faster than on the Wonder. Also... the New Wonder feels to be a lighter horn overall, accomplishing the same functions with less key metal. In terms of sound... they sound identical in the lower register. The Wonder however... has larger palm key holes so those notes from high C and up to F sound edgier and crisper to me than on the New Wonder. The Wonder is a little harder with intonation and tuning though, the New Wonder definitely has improved intonation and tuning. Overall though, they are extremely similar horns... and I feel like the Wonder is just as capable as the New Wonder to deliver. I have been gigging my Wonder lately to save some wear on my New Wonder, which (the New Wonder) has the better finish option of gold wash bell and the detailed engraving. In time I will overhaul my New Wonder, or at least just polish it up because it plays "wonderfully" right now!

Coming up next: A comparison of my New Wonder to a "Chu Berry" New Wonder II I just bought this morning. Stay tuned... it will be its own thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts