Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a noob. Please forgive any mistakes I may make. I am looking at a Conn USA shooting stars on the bell Serial # 11364 for $250.00. I cant find any info on this s# series. Is it worth buying? Good condition normal laquer wear. Just been serviced. No letter prefixes. thanks for the help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
It could be one of the early 50M's which were actually made from the bodies of the Vito Specials, thus the serial numbers on them were Vito, Kenosha serial numbers (although the factory was in Nogales, AZ; which Conn bought in around '62-'63).

These had the F# trill keys which looked like a LH palm key. If the one you speak of has that sorta key, there you have it.

Once Conn used up all the leftover Vito bodies, they kept the machining and body design and just started using the letter-prefix Conn sequences. They changed a few things on the keywork (such as the F# trill key). But they didn't change much, really.

They are good.

$250 for one in good shape is a darn good deal, I usually sell them for $400-450.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
873 Posts
Yep, early 50M from 1962. Looks to be relacquered, which isn't a surprise since these earliest ones seem to be found with their lacquer in terrible condition more often than their contemporaries.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and got me a king zephyr 328xxx. I gave 200 and a tv I wasnt using anymore. It needs some work. The f key doesnt spring up very good. How much does it usually cost to get these rebuilt?

·
18,497 Posts
Nice deal, there, assuming it has no significant damage.

Hard to answer your Q. You could bring it someplace and they could quote $1200...or you could bring it someplace and they could tell you $200.

Where are you located ? Do you have a relationship with a repair tech locally ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im in OKC. Oklahoma. I have a place I go to for minor adjustments on my ST90. This is my first vintage sax. He charges $75 flat for adjustments felts.corks.keys. but ive never needed more. Im really excited to get this going. Hopefully they wont try to high ball me. I know of 2 places, jenkins and larsens . There is a store in norman also but idont know if they repair. Maybe someone here knows a good tech. In Oklahoma.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some pictures of the Zephyr. I am noticing a slight bend in the body. From the bottom to the strap loop/eye looks ok but then from the loop to the top it looks slanted forward. Is this normal? I hope it aint bad. Check out the pics

Attachments

·
18,497 Posts
Does it play ? yeah, might be a tad curved, the tube. But if the keys aren't binding, then you need not bother. It isn't dramatic.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you could staighten the tube yourself, keys-on.

Except it will seem like a slightly brutal experience.

If you wanna try it, PM me and I can direct you. But again, borderline in this case, if the keys are free and snappy, you can just leave it as-is and get it taken care of next time the horn needs servicing. If you were gonna get the horn serviced anyway, then have the curve straightened at the same time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went ahead and went with Bruce Kitzel in Edmond, OK. I read some positive feedback on here on him. He charged me 150-175 to set up the sax. It wont adress the bend but he said he wont do a bandaid job and that I will really notice the difference. If I wanted a full rebuild he said it would be 600. But I went with the set up and see if I like the horn enough to go all the way. Oh yeah it was playing sounded nice. But i couldn't be lush. I had do blow hard. All or nothing.

·
18,497 Posts
Interesting.

Isn't $175 a band-aid job though ? I don't get that comment (?)

S20's & Zephs are very responsive horns, you shouldn't have to be blowing very hard to get it to speak well, really.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup band aid is what he told me. Im new at this. I know I'll get better with experience on these vintage horns. He said he would do what others would just but a band aid on. I guess he meant a really do a good job on it. I dont know but I will soon find out GOD willing. About the playability it was stuffy in the mid range and the low end was not really consistent I had to work to get it out. My guess is leaks.

I am a DIY kind of guy but for PC repair or TVs. I really enjoy it. I thought of messin with the sax myself but I thought maybe not. Im willing to straighten the body with your direction. We'll see when I get it back. Thanks again.

·
18,497 Posts
Yeah.....the horn sounds like it is leaking in multiple places.

It should come back blowing much more easily. In that instance, the band-aid will have worked OK. The price seems fair enuff if he can get the horn speaking up and down with less effort than you were using before.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts