Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an old Conn USA silver plated piccolo years ago. Serial # H37xx. It has CONN USA, the serial number and a "Db" engraved on the body and nothing else that I can find. I haven't found much on the internet so far to help with placing an age or model number to it. Any suggestions or information about finding out more? Or any idea what it might be worth? It's in good overall shape, keys straight, some light scratches here and there but no real damage, needs pads.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
Should be about 1966. Not much value on these since Conn was not the greatest piccolo. I would guess about $50 needing pads to about $200 in good condition.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bruce. I know you deal in piccolos and really appreciate your input. I'm not out anything much since I think I paid $10 at a pawn shop maybe 15-20 years ago. Just one of those impulse buys from a shop where I also bought my first tenor sax (a YTS-61 that I still play today). Thanks again. Maybe I'll stick it on Craigslist and see if anyone is interested.

And 1966 was a good year. I was a sophomore in high school!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
Cylindrical or reverse conical bore? I'd like to have a Db picc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Usually when bands play orchestral transcriptions, they're raised up a half step if the orchestral part used A clarinets. This would put these pieces a half step higher than normal, and if it's a piece that has a big excerpted solo for a certain instrument, in an awkward key (Stars and Stripes and Oberon Overture come to mind). Using a Db picc (or flute) would put it in the right key for that instrument. There are actually times when I wish I had a Db oboe for some of those weird moments!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
All of the Conn metal pics I have seen are not conical. Some of the wood or bakelite should be Conical however and for 1966 it should be cylindrical. The ones I make are cylindrical. They sure are handy in Db and I have a few flutes (one is a Haynes) pitched in Db. Also, some orchestra players use them when a piece is in a rough key or bad fingering to just play one passage or movement. Just rewrite the section a half step lower. If something is in F# or Gb, put it in F, etc. I sell a Db flute about every 2 years. Almost all 19th century US and UK band parts for pic are for Db. With the band I conduct, we need to have one concert with HS students (for our grant money) and in May we are doing the Wren Polka and it is for Db pic so I am loaning one of mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts