Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gold plated Conn Transitional Art Deco is in great original shape and condition:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w7muw3hfkarstkt/AAC8qFLenm1d29LtMUHnt8tBa?dl=0

When I got a Codera Balancer for it and showed a friend a pic which explains why the balancer will not work on the Tranny, he told me he saw the ring is worn and his tenor almost suffered a fall when the strap ring suddenly broke. When I look at the pic of Conn now, it seems there is indeed a weak spot in that ring.
I would love to keep the horn's original state, but of course it's ridiculous to risk a fall. Can a ring be reinforced and mended, or would you have it replaced?

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,932 Posts
Yup. That's all that needs to be done. Given it's gold plate, there's no harm of lacquer burning or plating getting messed up as long as the tech is careful.

This can be flipped 180 degrees and a tech with even just decent soldering skills should be able to make it look like it was never touched.

Structurally, once flipped that ring will last another 90 years, easy.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your helpful and good advice. Next week, my Conn will go to a tech, and the ring including its plate will be flipped 180 degrees.

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,626 Posts
Based on the photo, which could be misleading visually due to the angle, as long as you don't use a metal hook/clasp on your strap you don't need to even flip it. Something on your strap (again as long as you're not putting metal against metal on the eye) would be more likely to break than the strap ring, based on how much metal *appears* to be remaining, if you put enough pressure on the ring to break through the worn spot.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Stop using a metal hook in that ring. Use a high quality plastic hook such as in a Neotech strap.
The remaining metal will be a lot stronger than the solder joint holding the whole thing on.

(Or flip the ring, but still, stop using a metal hook!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,932 Posts
LOL...it's sorta like a modern drummer who doesn't use sleeves when he/she mounts their cymbals (instead allowing the bronze cymbal direct contact with the metal cymbal stand stem).

A lesson learned generations ago ..

I dunno (offhand) any players who's straps have metal hooks anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts