Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a conn transitional alto, you guys say a gold plate will be more yellowish, what about this one....
I recall hearing that Conn did make some transitionals in gold finish w/o the elaborate engravings.. is this one of them?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but it appears to me to be lacquer. As stated in the other thread, a good indication of gold plate is a layer of silver plate that shines through where the gold plate wears; here it appears to be bare brass under the finish, usually an excellent indication of a lacquer finish.

Also, the color looks a little off to be gold plated, though that could be a result of the image (it's really hard to accurately picture shiny surfaces).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,773 Posts
The real "trannys" still have the New Wonder style left pinky table. This one has the updated 6m/10m style keys.

I can't tell what the finish is from the photo.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,273 Posts
I have one like the one in the picture. Very nice sounding saxophone. I don't think it's gold plated, gold plated saxophones are also very engraved. This saxophone is a pre 6M, call it in the way you want: tranny or not tranny. You probably could find additional info here: http://www.saxpics.com

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
I would go with bare brass unless the it was plated at a later time.

Still play it first and then decide.

I have personally found the non split bell key model tranny altos to be less vibrant than the split bell key models in both tenor and alto. On Baritone however I have found the intonation better with the RH Bell keys. A strange phenomenem indeed......insert weird sppoky music here.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.