Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently noticed the difference in angle length and pip
placement between earlier transitional altos and the 6m. The 6m being about 1/4" longer and having a more upright angle with the pip further toward the cork. I've not played both side by side, but I'm wondering if these changes were meant as improvements from the earlier transitional underslung necks,and if so what benefits the differences would create?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, both necks look relatively similar. I also notice the satin finish is always a bit different on the necks vs. the body . I googled a vs. comparison, but found nothing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
By "6Ms," I'm guessing you mean the model stamped 6M (1937 and later), with the newer type tuner sleeve.

There's been a lot of guessing about the changes in 6M necks during the '30s. Conn didn't advertise any of it, except that you could order a topside octave key with no tuner. The company archives were all incinerated long ago. And no one has gotten enough horns together in one place to really investigate the differences.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Neither alto is a 6M. The shorter neck is from the earlier 1931 Tranny. The longer neck with the double sleeve/newer style tuner neck is the later 1935 tranny, but for all intents and purposes looks like every underslung micro tuner 6M I've seen. I've since purchased the horn with the neck in question(the 1935). Both horns have huge sounds, but the later 1935 Tranny seems to have a more spread sound witha little more finesse. Altissimo is a little more stubborn on the 1935 though. I'm wondering if the difference is the length,bore, or pip placement. All in all it doesn't matter. The beauty of them is that they offer to different experiences.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts