Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Conn New Wonder tenor that's definately been well loved and played, and modified. There are several keywork modifications, but the oddest thing is an extra body vent/octave pip. It's located just under the next reciever directly above the original body vent. An extra key arm and keycup were added too, but the odd thing is that the vent doesn't have a hole drilled in it, it's just a brass hole plug at the moment. It's also got the same old gold lacquer on it that the rest of the horn has on it, and I know for a fact it was lacquered in the 30's, so the mod was started a long time ago... I'm thinking about drilling it out and installing a pad to make it workable and see how it affects the horn.

Has anyone else seen something like this? I'll post a pic when I can.

-Scott

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The horn is in pretty rough shape right now, needs an overhaul with major body work. I was planning on drilling out the 2nd vent during the overhaul and plugging it later if it doesn't help at all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Id go for it, as long as you can just plug it later, there isnt to much risk IMO

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,386 Posts
How would it operate if it were active - what combination of keys would cause it to open rather than the others? Is it automatic? Looking forward to photos!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts