Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a local auction coming up in a few days. There is a tenor saxophone in the auction that is engraved as a "Bandmaster Artist" on the bell. Below the right thumb rest it shows "46M pat. applied for" the letter "T" a serial number of 54799 and beneath that the letter "L". It has the tuner(?) on the neck. From what I've been able to ascertain it appears to be a Conn stenciled horn, somewhere late 1930s/early 1940s. Does this sound about right? It is in amazing shape for it's age, the finish is probably 85%+. The finish is actually better than that on my 1927 MKVI alto. I wasn't able to play it but it feels really tight. It has one small dent on the body right under the right palm. I'm guessing it would need pads. Any idea of a good auction price for this?

Fluid Font Wood Metal Transparency
Sleeve Wood Elbow Metal Fashion accessory

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
IMO a horn like that is worth buying and putting some money into. Unfortunately, you might get more into it than what it's worth.

If I was buying it, I would try to keep it under $200. If you fell in love with it, you could sink some money into it even though you probably loose money on resale. These stencils can be cheap fun though, especially if you can do your own pad job, and sometimes one can speak to you in ways that spawn a longer term relationship that is hard to put price on.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,667 Posts
What he said ^^^^^^^^^

Looks like a proper Pan Am stencil for sure. Might be a nice player, but certainly will be difficult to get any $$$ out of.

I liked my Pan Am tenors just fine. New pads are almost certain to be needed, but I do all that so I did not lose out.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMO a horn like that is worth buying and putting some money into. Unfortunately, you might get more into it than what it's worth.

If I was buying it, I would try to keep it under $200. If you fell in love with it, you could sink some money into it even though you probably loose money on resale. These stencils can be cheap fun though, especially if you can do your own pad job, and sometimes one can speak to you in ways that spawn a longer term relationship that is hard to put price on.
Thanks. If I get it for a reasonable price I was figuring I'd put a bit in it and keep it to play rather than flipping it. I don't have a tenor, just an alto and soprano.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts