Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm trying to find the model and the value of a Conn soprano that belongs to a friend of mine. It is old (I think 20s or 30s) and it is silver plated and has rolled tone holes. The serial number is M179XXX and it says L under the serial number (I'm guessing for low pitch). The engraving is MADE-BY and under it C.X. Conn XtXX and under that ELKHART-IND and under that U.S.A.

X stands for a letter I can't understand (it's very curvy and English is not my first language). I will try to get a photo later.

Thanks & best wishes!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
It is a C.G.Conn made in Elkhart Indiana in 1926. It is a "New Wonder Series II" model also called a "Chu Berry". As to the value, if it is in super perfect condition with new pads and the original case, no finish wear, it could bring about $1,500 US here in the US. In Israel or other markets, it could bring much more. If it is in only fair condition needing pad work, about $500. It is low pitch A=440hz.

·
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Bruce. It does look like a G. Here are a couple of photos. The ifrst is just the entire logo, but in the second photo I was trying to show the very curvy letters right after Conn. Can anyone understand what is that word? Now that I look again it is possibly LTD (I originally thought it is four letters)?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
They are nice horns...a little quirky at times, but they have a great sound. I own two of them, a 165,xxx that was an original bare-brass horn that acquired a coat of lacquer and a 184,xxx horn that is in original silverplate.

It does make one wonder how an old horn like that found its way from Indiana to Israel.

·
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OnyxSax, yes I really like it. It is my favorite soprano from all that I played. It does have some intonation quirks (for example, my friends who own it don't use it in their classical sax quartet) but for many other things the sound and response is just the best. The keys aren't too bad either.

OnyxSax said:
It does make one wonder how an old horn like that found its way from Indiana to Israel.
Probably in one of the many ways instruments like this got to any other country. I don't think it is strange at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts