Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I am a band parent. I am going through my tenth year as a band parent and my daughter is joining the jazz band for her high school band. She has a alto sax but they want her to play tenor. So I bid on tenor shooting star on ebay. Not my first choice in a tenor but nobody is bidding and it might need a little work with pads. My first question is the serial number provided I can not find on the web. They say it is M235278. If someone has a nice tenor for sale let me know. I do have a yamaha alto I would like to put in trade if acceptable.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Are you sure it is a Shooting Stars?
Good point. I did a search on eBay after first reading this thread, and found no auction for a Director model with that serial number. They may well be looking at an earlier vintage Conn with the "M=Saxophone" Conn catalog designation prefacing the serial number, rather than the year of manufacture lettered serial number applied to Conn instruments in the late 1960s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the help. Just trying to help my daughter out. I told her to sell some of these instruments lying around the house so she could get a descent horn. I have a melophone like new by yamaha in silver. I have a yamaha alto sax YAS23 in excellent condition. I have a oboe sitting her by my feet. Just want a deal on a nice tenor

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I checked it out, and it is indeed a 1969 DIRECTOR model (nicknamed Shooting Star). It might pan out if you can get it for under $250 or so. I would count on the need for a repad and full setup, so keep the price as low as possible or you will VERY quickly be upside down monetarily.

I removed the auction look up reference number in your post so as to minimize sharking of your potential acquisition. No need to invite competition with the bidding.;)

As suggested previously, Jaye (www.2ndending.com) has some good horns on his site ready to play with no need for a repad etc. That 1962 professional Conn 10M he has right now is a killer tenor, and far superior to the 16M Director student horn you are looking at. Also, if it is in your budget, the 1954"The MARTIN" committee is my all time favorite model, and a good buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1 He'll set you up on a working vintage tenor at a great price with good descriptions and sound bites. Good reputation here on SOTW. He's got some good selections on tenor too!
I appreciate all the help with the tenor. I keep in mind everything you said. I appreciate your time and effort also. It is nice to meet good people and to know they are still out there in these tuff times. John with Zippiwatches.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,200 Posts
My 'son-in-law' just bought a Conn Shooting Stars tenor from Jaye.
It played perfectly up and down right out of the box.
Everything he has is reasonably priced, so that's a bonus for someone who wants a good solid horn on a tight budget.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts