Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently completing an overhaul on a "Mexiconn" shooting star alto. I am not satisfied with the performance of the G# key/lever. My usual setup for older conns is to cover the curve of the lever contact with 1/64 cork covered with Feree teflon tape. If appears to me that the fulcrum on the lever is different the the Chu's and other older Conns I have serviced. I have tried Many variation in tension to the stock springs an get only adequate results. (I am looking for stellar...The customer is a collegiate level player who loves the horn for Jazz band).

Would a change from the stock springs be helpful? (And what dia. wire would you recommend for the lever/cup). Is there a modification to the lever that could be made?

Any setup suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Always start simple first.....The key was binding on a bent rod I missed during my key fitting....I straitened the rod and it works like a champ. thanks

·
2011 SOTW Contributor
769 Posts
can you post a picture of what you did? I got a King Zephyr serviced but I still hear clacking on a metal fulcrum to metal lever and I'd assume even with little space in between the two, at least teflon tape should have been used to muffle the clack. I see this on a few metal lever to fulcrum contacts. Isn't that pretty bad for myself to find this instead of the repair tech to miss this and I'm not a repair guy even.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts