Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all --

I just picked up an ornamental Conn Shooting Star 50M (which is my best guess based on the fact that it has a SN in the 11'000's with no letter, but has sheet metal key guards so isn't old) for pretty much free; I believe it's well beyond being worth restoring, but I'm wondering whether this sort of instrument has any value for parts? My initial intent was to use it to fiddle on -- figuring that if I take it
apart and can't get it back together I'm only out the single-digit price I paid for it.

[IMG=http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3830/img1967xt.jpg][/IMG]

Thoughts? Would anyone actually want it for parts? Much as I like the thought of having a beater to play with, I'm actually more interested in learning to maintain clarinets, and I already have a couple of clarinet beaters!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've picked up a few old horns over the years and worked on them enough to at least make them playable. Some I sold to cover the cost of materials and some I gave away to a middle school that really needed them. It's still fun to mess with old horns and young kids need help with instruments these days, so it's a win/win deal. Music programs are the first to go in most places and are chronically underfunded.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts