Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, before i start off, i have searched the saxpics.com site for an answer and have found none, i got close, but not quite.

i saw an alto recently for sale that had this serial code:

M20xxxxAX

according to saxpics, the x at the and of conns may mean "experimental". ok, i get that much, but what about "ax" is that the same thing? something different?

it had one sided bell keys and a 6m g# stack but no 6m marking, whats more, the serial number range for transitional chus are much higher than 200000's.

what gives?

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
According to the serial number listings in the Allied Repair Supply Catalog, the "M" prefix designates Conn saxophones made in 1969---well past the vintage saxes that are so much in demand. Without the M prefix a 200,000 serial number would put the sax somewhere between 1927 and 1928. There is nothing in their serial number charts about "x" or "ax". Hope this helps answer your question.

John

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can you post a photo of it? I think if we can visually see it, we can instantly identify it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Simple, if it has wire key guards its a 28-29 horn and is a chu, sheet metal is 1969 and a director
Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
If it has "one sided bell keys" then they must be on the left side which would make it not a horn from the 20s UNLESS it is a Mezzo soprano in F!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i cant get you guys pics of it, but i can try describing it better, it had bell keys just like a 6m, and the g# stack was just like a 6m, the first three numbers were 206, once again it looked like this:

A
M206xxxAX
L

it was in silver plate.

it was not a 1960's horn, nor was it a 6m, nor was it a chu.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
It will be a chu berry horn UNLESS its a pan am or a conn stencil but they didn't put the M prefix on pan am's (p) or stencils unless by mistake
Dave

·
Registered
74 Posts
Chu's simply do not have have same side bell keys, unless you count some trannys, but the referenced horn has a 6M g# stack as well. You can't call it a Chu by virtue of serial number alone. I have a 6M Virtuoso way past the stated serial number category on saxpics.com.

If the sax in this thread had an X at the end of a 1927-8 serial, and given the alto 6M trannys started coming out roughly 1930 then why not an experimental horn which was the pre-cursor to the 6M? Seems in synch, no? I'm betting that a rare early tranny. Would love to see a photo.

I'm not exactly sure what the AX is all about, but I can say I have a 297xxxA nickel plate early 6M which puts it about 1941 I think. Dunno what the extra A at the end of the serial respresents.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
I owned a Conn tenor 239***X that was one of the best Conn tenors I ever owned. It had all the features of a Chu tenor plus a few other little changes. The main thing was that it played oustandingly, better than other Chu's I had owned and better than later 10M's or 30M's.

I currently have a Conn alto that has all the late Chu features but has a 243K serial number. It would be classified as later than your typical tranny alto yet it plays sweeter and more resonantly than any other Conn alto I have ever played or owned. I include 26M and 28M in this.

All I know about the X after the serial is all supposition and joint forum wisdom and that is we suspect that X after the serial number indicated that these unusual horns were experimental models, perhaps one offs by the factory or one of a short run when they were trying out new ideas. The main thing to know is that they typically play exceptionally well and will surprise you in the nicest way when you play one.

I would be very keen to find another one of these tenors of the same vintage, that is around the 240K serial range. I will try to locate some pics of that horn.

Anyone with further knowledge please add to this post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts