Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I posted this question in my Thread in the Conn forums here, but I got no answer.

So I actualyl have two questions about my new Conn New Wonder

The ebay ad I bought it from said it had Metal dome resos, but all the pads have are a small metal nub about 2 mm wide in the center of each pad. Is this the resonator?

Also, The last owner seemed to be an avid tobacco chewer. I realized this from the horrid smell as well as the bits of tobacco leaf spilling everywhere.

The pads are pretty gross, and example woudl be the D# key. That pad is Completely black from the tobacco.

Do you think an acid bath and a repad woudl do it some justice to the smell. And do resonators come with the pad Or do you have to buy them?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sounds like your pads have rivits only, no resonators.

A good cleaning and repad will get rid of the smell completely, though it may take some time to get the smell out of the case.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the Case is pretty ripped up anyways

I'll jsut set the case aside and use my protec softcase for it.

How much would you think a cleaning and a repad with new metal dome resos would cost?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,833 Posts
Conn Reso-pads are a specific type of pad with a metal ring inside the edge of the pad (under the leather), and a small flat resonator held in place with a rivet.

Buescher had the first resonators (unintentionally!) when they began using snap-in pads in 1922. Players found that the metal snaps made the Bueschers louder. Conn began installing resonators shortly thereafter and the diameter of the Conn resonators was about the same as the Buescher snaps, not surprisingly.

The metal ring inside Conn reso-pads makes the face of the Reso-pad very flat. If the toneholes are in good shape, they work very well. Also, the metal ring spreads the leather face of the pad wider than the key cup itself. This is a tremendous advantage when replacing pads on keys that are not much wider than the tone hole (e.g. Old Conn tenor sax lft hand B key pads).

I even use Conn Reso-pads on non-Conn saxophones where the tone hole is large and the key cup is small (e.g. Buescher and Bundy bari sax high F keys). It is easier to get the pad to cover the tone hole, especially on old horns where the key is bent.

My MYSPACE MUSIC page:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool!

So I've sent out a couple emails locally and I received a private one from Doc Frazier offering to repad and tweak my sax for me.

I'm only just worried about the money issue now. The sax pretty much plays fine and the resonators are jsut al ittle complaint on the side.

Do you think there is a way I could try to clean out the smell without taking it in to be professionally cleaned? Then I could get the pads replaced as soon as I have the money. The smell is jsut unbearable I can barly play the sax without getting a tummy ache.

Thanks
-John

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, cool.

I'm not so sure about taking the sax apart to clean it up, but I'll try doing the neck tommorrow.

thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts