Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Mmmmmm....that was tongue-in-cheek, right ? :|

Screws are really impractical. You can pick up a properly-threaded nickel or brass one on eFlay for around $8, FWIW.....
Actually the one lower left is what it came with. Phillips screws are wrong for the time era. They weren’t invented until WWII. The wingnut is stainless. Bad color match. Lol I don’t think I would use a cabinet screw.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Would probably be a good idea if I subscribed to my own thread. Duh!
Didn’t find any hidden damage underneath the big blob of metal. I think the neck got a few ounces lighter. The neck was definitely pulled down some at one point. As I started to heat the metal I heard a nice Ca *****. Obviously the support brace had some stress on it. Not sure if it’s supposed to be straight or curved. All refitted nicely in the cross brace is now straight. Original or not it is what it is. I also find it interesting for a early Conn to have a serial number on the neck.
Nice job!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a Conn Tenor 1913 but the tonehole chimneys have been resolded just like your neck.... looks like quite a job to fix it so no hurry

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Mmmmmm....that was tongue-in-cheek, right ? :|

Screws are really impractical. You can pick up a properly-threaded nickel or brass one on eFlay for around $8, FWIW.....
$8. :yikes!: I’m going full ******* mode. I’ll find something to work laying around the shed. Will look in the box of Harley parts first. I think Farmall used standard threads also. Will get back to you with the options.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,149 Posts
If it were me I would mess with G# to close up the gap between there and the lower pinkie plates. Sometimes just a verrry careful bending is all it needs.

·
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If it were me I would mess with G# to close up the gap between there and the lower pinkie plates. Sometimes just a verrry careful bending is all it needs.
I didn’t notice that until just now. Thanks for the tip !

Screws are really impractical. You can pick up a properly-threaded nickel or brass one on eFlay for around $8, FWIW.....[/COLOR]
This funny thing ended up in my driveway yesterday. I’m reasonably certain it is a cure for an $8 screw. ;)
Meet Logan.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I hate you! Is that a South Bend?

I so wish I had space for something like that (plus a Bridgeport, plus some welding equipment, plus, plus, plus...)

·
Registered
242 Posts
This funny thing ended up in my driveway yesterday. I’m reasonably certain it is a cure for an $8 screw. ;)
Meet Logan.
THAT, is a game changer for sure! Your shop life will never be the same. You have so much fab ability at your finger tips now. Congratulations!!

·
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I hate you! Is that a South Bend?

I so wish I had space for something like that (plus a Bridgeport, plus some welding equipment, plus, plus, plus...)
Lol. South Bend was a copy/clone of these. Logan model 820. I have not researched the serial number but I think it is in 1944. Something like a 10 x 24.
See the second picture. Although I do have a three and four jaw Chuck. It also came with the tailstock Jacobs chucks kit & live center All MT2. OE knurling tool and tool post. Lol I think the can of grease was original also.
http://www.lathe.com/catalogs/Logan_Lathe_Catalog_1944.pdf I have the torches and a MIG welder. Drill press and some other goodies. 10 minute walk and a liter of cherry Coke gets me use of a mill.

THAT, is a game changer for sure! Your shop life will never be the same. You have so much fab ability at your finger tips now. Congratulations!!
I think I’m having “Project Fest” A lot different than GAS. Going to take a couple months to get it to my specifications. It runs. I wouldn’t trust to cut anything finer than 1/4 20 threads. Drive & gears is plus or minus .020. Parts are available but not cheap. One gear can run you north of $300. Making new oil light bushings for everything.
As you know this kind of hardware is not for the rookie. So our following readers don’t get all excited and go by lathe. I hope you do get something new. This was a couple hundred dollars and I’m expecting to spend $1000 restoring it. Minimum.....$100 Conn, $1500 overhaul ;) A Conn doesn’t take your finger off if you make a mistake.

Attachments

·
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Got sidetracked with this one.

·
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
And when I’m done with the Martin above I need to get back to the Holton…

21 - 38 of 38 Posts