Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
django, that is one beeeauutiful set of Lady Be Goods,,,, wow.

Boys and girls, listen to that link for some learnin'

The '36 with the Brillhart is the winner for me...but damn, nice playing.

Is that Jassnbluezzz?

Wait--is this you?
I've been listening literally every day to those YouTube clips since I discovered them a week or so ago! We share a love for the Pres and I'm also playing on a Carslbad era Ebolin (Doc Tenney refaced it to .090" and lengthened the facing). This thread and your clips combined to really help in my recent decision to go for a 1924 Conn New Wonder!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 1924 fully restored New Wonder .... I assume this is what is was like new. It plays better than anything I've ever encountered, including a new Keilwerth, and sounds deep and rich but can really scream when pushed. Amazing instrument!!! My only objection is that it doesn't look old. :dontknow:

Turtle
I guess I'm part of that club too now. I had my grandfathers 1924 NW 1 fully restored. Wow it looks different now and it can actually be played. I have a long ways to go but am enjoying it. I'm curious if you still have a 90 year old mouthpiece for yours or what you're using? I found that the inside opening of the original (or at least I think original) mouthpiece is a little smaller than a yamaha 4c that I thought I'd try. Luckily my 3 year old seems to enjoy hearing Dad play scales :)

-Dan

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
How can one tell from the video that it is a NW series I versus a series II? Or for that matter, I had a hard time saying for sure what sort of sax is in that video. Then again, it could just be my untrained eye. Nice performance. Clearly one for me to file in the "it's not the instrument's fault" pile as I'm learning!
The neck brace and octave key tell you it's a Conn. I'm sure it's a NW I because it has the smooth, domed LH pinky G# key. You can see it shining in the lights at 1:23: the nailfile G# wouldn't shine like that.

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Musician Music Musical instrument accessory

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
733 Posts
Yep, that is one of the clips. I am really honored to know that it helped you decide.
Dang, now I want a NWII! I recently bought a 1948 non-RTH 10M from a forum member and have been enjoying the heck out of it on a Tenney Link STM 8, now I'm suddenly all keen on a NWII...you really swing on the clip, great sound, phrasing, and the comparison is illuminating. Thanks so much for putting it up.

Kenneth

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Dang, now I want a NWII! I recently bought a 1948 non-RTH 10M from a forum member and have been enjoying the heck out of it on a Tenney Link STM 8, now I'm suddenly all keen on a NWII...you really swing on the clip, great sound, phrasing, and the comparison is illuminating. Thanks so much for putting it up.

Kenneth
Wow! Thank you very much, High Fly and Kenneth.
I never realised these try-out clips would get so much attention.
In fact I for myself think the playing is not all that good: a lot of sloppy mistakes and all.
But then again I think that is part of the process of improvisation and exploring.

The NWII sure are worth exploring. My '24 is supposed to be a NWI by the way.
However it already has the NWII palm key feature. I never played a real thoroughbred Chu
so I cannot compare other key changes or similarities.

Your '48 10M is an early non RTH and should be a killer horn too. And most likely better key work design.
No need to ditch it for a NWII. Or better yet keep both.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Wow! Thank you very much, High Fly and Kenneth.
I never realised these try-out clips would get so much attention.
In fact I for myself think the playing is not all that good: a lot of sloppy mistakes and all.
But then again I think that is part of the process of improvisation and exploring.

The NWII sure are worth exploring. My '24 is supposed to be a NWI by the way.
However it already has the NWII palm key feature. I never played a real thoroughbred Chu
so I cannot compare other key changes or similarities.

Your '48 10M is an early non RTH and should be a killer horn too. And most likely better key work design.
No need to ditch it for a NWII. Or better yet keep both.
Zombie thread, back to life.

I too have a NRTH '48 10M, and it is indeed incredibly good. I played it side by side with earlier RTHs at a seller (who had them lined up), and we both agreed mine was as good or better! than the RTHs. So, go figure.

I have a Pan Am that is mix of NWI and II, but mostly II I think. Its incredible. It doesn't hit the back wall of a room with projection but its got a tone to die for.

Jazznblues, yeah mistakes and all, it really swings and just fits the whole way, stylistically, rhythmically, tonally. nice.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Zombie thread, back to life.

I too have a NRTH '48 10M, and it is indeed incredibly good. I played it side by side with earlier RTHs at a seller (who had them lined up), and we both agreed mine was as good or better! than the RTHs. So, go figure.

I have a Pan Am that is mix of NWI and II, but mostly II I think. Its incredible. It doesn't hit the back wall of a room with projection but its got a tone to die for.

Jazznblues, yeah mistakes and all, it really swings and just fits the whole way, stylistically, rhythmically, tonally. nice.
Nice to see this zombie thread resurrected again. I bet your '48 and Pan Am are great playing horns.
I have never had the pleasure to play a Pan Am though and I have always wondered how they compare
to the NW and 10M's.
Many thanks for the nice word by the way.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

Does not make the series 1 sound good, not even the late versions, around the Lester Young era.
I highly regard Matt Stohrers' opinions and and I am not questioning his knowledgeability. I just wonder to what standard he is comparing the keywork of the NW to? I mean if compared to nowadays standards or you are used to Selmer like keywork or more modern saxes I can imagine one would probably struggle with an old Conn. But makes that the keywork of a Conn bad? A lot of pre-war and even post-war greats did not feel that way I think.
After a brief period with a beaten up Bundy Selmer my first big name tenor was the '24 NW and although it was a
completely different horn I had little trouble to adapt to it quickly. I never thought of it as bad keywork until I did read
some opinions about it here on SOTW. Still I do not consider it as bad. In fact the one I have plays even smoother and faster
than my 10M. The 10M feels different to the NW also.
Some vintage saxes like Beaugniers, Kohlerts and Bueschers and some lesser known brands have come by in the past years
but I sold them again.
All very nice an some of them had smoother keyworks indeed. I had to adapt to that too by the way. But none of them rivaled the great tone of the Conns.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Maybe its all about context, and the job at hand. Meaning, the gig/sound/style/music/player needs the best tool for the job at hand. For my level of playing/driving I don't really need a Ref 54/BMW

But, I have heard the MkVI called the swiss army knife of the the tenor world, so maybe that's the real appeal there.

Yeah, my 10M is more "modern" (hah!) but believe it or not, not quite as exciting or raw as the PanWonder I.5 I have. Of course, you could also say, "maybe its all about the set up". and my Pan Am/NW1.5 is set up just right. (Disclaimer: My main player now is a late 50s Pierret! for a funk/soul band)

I thought it was a bit of a rant re the NW on the video- forest v. trees kind of thing

Yeah, jazzn, I walk around with Lady be Good in My Head sometimes. Thanks to you, damn [email protected]!

(I forwarded it to my NOLA brass band which has many amateur players as a "lesson"!)

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have gotten a little confused lately since I relooked at the comparison pics in this thread
and revisited the Saxpics website again regarding the Conn New Wonder section.
It never caught my eye but now I noticed that on Saxpics site the 'Chu' type series start at 143xxx.
My New Wonder tenor has a 144xxx serial. I never realised this but it has most of the 'Chu' features
shown in the pics in this thread except for the nail file G# key and the dished pearls.
I have always assumed it was a late NW I type and I still think it is. Could my horn possibly
be a sort of transitional between the NW I and the II Chu?

Do you have or know other examples of this?
You have the same serial number as Prez, nice!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts