Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to start off by Saying, that the reason I ask this question is because I am unsure of something.
I owned a Martin Handcraft it had split bell keys, and it had a lot of intonation issues. The reason why I state that is because I am looking at a Conn Chu Berry Alto, because I am looking for something Classy, but still kind of flashy. Does a Conn Chu Berry have any kind of intonation problems? anything that might stop me from using it as a Main Alto in college?

Thanks
~Carbs

·
Registered
243 Posts
ah chu

Depends where your going to collage if your a music major /sax I think your teachers might turn there nose up a 62 or one of thereother horns there all basically the same is the perfect horn for collage and can be had for about 1500 bucks just pull the trigger already carbs your probably already in class

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grumps said:
I'm sorry Carbs, but according to the terms of service, you can only inquire about 50 horn purchases per week. I think we're well above that now...
Thanks Grumps. Their are just to many interesting horns. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,466 Posts
I don't think a Chu alto is going to do it for you if you choose music as a major. Sure, folks will chime in that they're fine, pro horns, but they do have their quirks and there are probably a zillion practical reasons why they might not be the best fit for a music major. If you want to be taken seriously and it has to be a vintage alto, get a Buescher Aristocrat or Top Hat and Cane; preferably before the 350K serial number range, but maybe ten or twenty thousand above that in a pinch.

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
As I've said to you privately:

Given an option, and taking into account that you will be majoring in music/saxophones studies, I concur with Grumps that a New Wonder Series II (and Series I) is going to come up a bit short. Intonation, MP fussiness, and outdated keywork among other issues may hamper you more than help.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,781 Posts
It matters a lot where you are going and what the sax instructor thinks. I believe David Wright at West Virginia Wesleyan plays this very model, so I assume you'd be all right if you are going there. ;) Some instructors would either laugh you out or toss you out of their studio if you showed up with one of these. So by all means, talk to the sax instructor and get her or his opinion before you commit to anything.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shame I am guessing it would make a great Jazz horn. If I had abit more time before going to College I could get this horn :(.

~Carbs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
For school you will need a Selmer, Yana or high end Yamaha. I used a Mark VI all through college and beyond. Now I still have it but use a Conn NW mostly. I have 7 Conns, 9 Martins, 6 Bueschers and about 10 others. Plent of time to explore but you need one modern horn at the moment.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,466 Posts
VII altos are highly underrated, but excellent horns. Unfortunately, the negatives of the tenor VII's get passed on to the alto; and quite unjustifiably so. That's good for buyers however, though people are catching on. I've seen VII altos selling for more than VII tenors on Ebay these days. You could probably score one for $1,300-$2,000 depending on serial number range and condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
808 Posts
I bet your college instructors will welcome you to bring in a Chu - as a novelty - not as your main horn. You'll most likely need a mainstream modern horn as your primary. But after you establish yourself in school, bringing in a nice example of vintage horn will probably be looked on with interest and you might even be allowed an opportunity to use it in some kind of 'experimental' way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
808 Posts
chitownjazz said:
It matters a lot where you are going and what the sax instructor thinks. I believe David Wright at West Virginia Wesleyan plays this very model, so I assume you'd be all right if you are going there. ..
Yes, I sold a nice one to one of his students who purchased it on David's recommendation.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to start off by saying thank you for the replies. I know I have had alot of questions, but I guess that is part of gaining knowledge.
I have pretty much decided on a Selmer Mark VII, or a Selmer Super Action horn. I asked my private lesson teacher and he said that he could not really tell a difference between the Serie II, and the Serie I.
So which one?
Selmer Mark VI
Selmer Serie I, or II?

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As suggested earlier, I should find a modern professional horn to be my main Alto. So I need to determine which way to go. There are a few options for me to choose from.
I like the Yani style necks, those necks are really cool. I have never played a Yanigasawa though. I would like to stay away from Yamaha though, they are just to light. I like dark, mellow alto, more like Cannonball then Charlie Parker. I think my price range once I get the money will be up to maybe $1300. I like Selmer also, Mark VII, or a Super Action Series I, or II.

When I talked to my private lesson teacher he said that the Super Action Series was made for more classical music, and the Mark VII had more guts. I don’t have the money now to get one, but any recommendations?

Thanks
~Carbs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts