Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I jsut scored what appears to be a really nice conn new wonder, just spur of the moment (damn GAS)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=170124638027&rd=1&rd=1

But now doing some more research, the sax is kinda weird. Ther serial number (117xxx) places it as a New wonder series one. But looking at the series two models, the sax's finish is identical to the body finish 6. According to saxpics, the finish choice 6 for the Conen new wonder II (chu berry) is "Body heavily nickel plated and highly polished, pearl inlaid finger tips, pearl rollers."

And the pictures in the auction clearly show that.

So could this be a transitional model between the two wonders?

thanks
-John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,813 Posts
I've had New Wonder I and II altos that had the same heavy nickel plate. I think it must have been available from the get-go.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohh, ok that would explain a lot.

Sorry about all the questions to people cruising around all the forums. I've completely new to this whole vintage sax stuff. So I've been roaming around asking a bunch of questions this last week.

This is my first vintage sax I bought!

I'm pretty excited for it to come it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You got a pretty damn nice deal too. I just watched one of those go from 525 to 1075 in 20 minutes before selling. Almost identical horn, except it had the floral bell engraving. Good catch, I think you're going to love your vintage horns!

- Pat

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I knew I found something nice. But I never expecting this much praise for it.

Now I've even more excited for it to come! yipee!! :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
You will find help here for your horn. The microtuner may need to be unstuck and that is about it. Very "normal" adjustments can be made.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, hi everyone

I just got the sax a little bit ago.

It smells kinda like sour tabacco, but thats a consequence for buying on ebay. And the neck octave lever on the body was bent in transit but I bent that back into shape.

Overall the sax is pretty clean, some minor dents but they were popped back out. The micro tuner seems to work fine, but it barely moves up or down the neck. It will jsut twist about 3 times and then get stuck.

One question I do have though, the pads don't have resonators. Is this common for Conns? Or was it the tech that installed the pads just didn't put on the resos.

The sax seems to have a slightly stuffy D2. And the G# mechanism is a bit sticky.

I think I'll take it in and get a clean up to get rid of that tobacco smell. Maybe a repad the leather on the pads looked wrinkley, so I'm guessing the pads aren't flat or something. As well as get some resos on the pads as well. Then I think I'll just oil up the mechanisms really well. And it should be a great playing sax!

By the way, what happens when you don't have resonators on the pads? The sax seems to need a bit mroe air then my yamaha and some notes seems stuffy. But I'm not sure if the air support is due to the sax or the resonators not being there.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That's definitely a horn worth putting money into. Even with a full overhaul, you still won't have a lot of money into it for how great the horn will be.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

Anyone else have answers to my questions earlier?

I relooked the ebay ad, and it said it had metal domed resos
But the pads have these whimpy little metal pin looking things in the center. They seem to be about 2 mm big and they seem to be absolutely horrible resos if they are resos at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts