Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I have Conn New Wonder 1918 tenor and there are couple of dents, on the body mainly.
if I fix these dents and dings will it harm the sound of this model? I'm not sure abouth thickness of the metal here.

I heard it won't be necessary to fix dents from the outside since it's already straightened from the inner side.
Please, advise if I need to repair it like on the second picture (file attached)

I want to restore the look of the saxophone.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Unless a dent is severe, fixing it is more for looks. I have a flat dented spot on my alto neck, but it sounds fine. In fact I'm reluctant to fix it because I like the horns sound so much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why is there a new ding on the Pictures that shows that you have just had the other one removed? I don't get it.
I don't think there is another way to remove the ding like on the pic 1. I'd need to create a new hollow from the inside to remove unevenness on the outside as long as we press the metal

·
Banned
566 Posts
the pic1 as you call it means not much.
what about showing a PHOTO of the dent and we can go from there?
very rarely dents anywhere on the body will make ANY difference to the sound.They would have to be HUGE dents.
when there is a dent on the NECK,then there can be some change to the sound.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the pic1 as you call it means not much.
what about showing a PHOTO of the dent and we can go from there?
very rarely dents anywhere on the body will make ANY difference to the sound.They would have to be HUGE dents.
when there is a dent on the NECK,then there can be some change to the sound.
Hmm.. at this point you are totally right. I just missed the point that the bore and body won't really affect the sound since the neck makes the whole difference.
At the moment I don't have a horn with me, I'll be able to post a couple of pictures later

Thanks again

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I don't think there is another way to remove the ding like on the pic 1. I'd need to create a new hollow from the inside to remove unevenness on the outside as long as we press the metal
Perhaps you do not understand... A dent does not normally change the thickness of the metal.
You seem to think that to remove a dent you have to create a dent on the opposite side of the metal. That is not not case. A dent bends metal. It does not remove metal. Straightening a dent involves bending the metal back to where it was before.

·
Registered
964 Posts
This is not what happens when you take out a dent or a ding. It's better that you leave that for someone with the right tools and experience! It's not easy to take out dents the first times without leaving a mark. It's easy when you have experience though and it can be done fast and quite cheap.

·
Banned
566 Posts
It's not easy to take out dents the first times without leaving a mark. It's easy when you have experience though and it can be done fast and quite cheap.
it's easy when you have experience to take out dents and leave no mark?
this is a very rare thing,to take out a dent without leaving a mark.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Livingthedream... yes and no.
Depending on many things of course. The finnish of the horn, the shape/depth/edgyness and the location of the dent and many more things...
It's possible without leaving a mark. But your right, it's not always possible.
My post was a reply to the first post about OPs statement
I'd need to create a new hollow from the inside
Which I do not agree with at all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts