Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum and this is my first post. I have been browsing for a few years and have found a lot of useful information.

Now to the reason for my post. I just purchased a Conn New Wonder II at a local auction today. In remarkable shape for the age. Even the case is in good shape.
I will be sending it to Les Arbuckle next month for a complete mechanical overhaul.
It was a small country auction and was able to purchase for $220.00.

It is somewhat playable as is but the pads are shot. No damage at all and the finish is still really good.

Steve

Attachments

Distinguished SOTW Member
Steve: Welcome to SOTW - and congrats on the Conn alto. If that horn plays half as well as my NWII soprano, you'll have a keeper. DAVE

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Steve: Welcome to SOTW - and congrats on the Conn alto. If that horn plays half as well as my NWII soprano, you'll have a keeper. DAVE
I am able to get some upper register notes out of it and am impressed with the sound. To much leakage for anything in the low register. Sound pretty amazing. Can't wait until I get it re-padded.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
I am able to get some upper register notes out of it and am impressed with the sound. To much leakage for anything in the low register. Sound pretty amazing. Can't wait until I get it re-padded.
They're bright and lively horns, on par with my preferred VI's. That's a great find, and you'll absolutely love it after the overhaul.

Registered
Yep, it dates from 1927. It looks in very good nick, too. I'm betting it's been on top of a wardrobe for years and wouldn't be surprised if it still has its original 90-year-old pads. Well worth repadding, especially given the price you got it for. They're great horns. I've got one myself: it's got a really BIIIIIIG sound. Enjoy it !

Registered
My first re-pad job was on one of these several years ago. Came out beautiful and sounded fantastic. To me, these have a big booming tone quality that is very powerful. Kind of spread to my ears. Very seductive. I used standard flat metal resonators similar to original and it was plenty loud. I would be hesitant to use over-sized resos on one of these. Just my opinion.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome and congratulations on you auction win. What a thrill buying at auction.
Very cool alto, looks like 1927-28 and really great shape (https://www.saxophone.org/museum/serialNumbers).
Any goodies in the case? Mouthpiece or sheet music?
No music but looks like original mouthpiece and ligature, leather neckstrap, lyre, and an old leather read holder that I have never seen. May be a homemade one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies. As I said I have been browsing this forum for a few years and have got a lot of useful information through the years.

I will post the results of the overhaul and my impressions of the sax when I get it back.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Les Arbuckle is done with the sax and it is on the way back. Suppose to be here Monday. Les said he can honestly say it is the best Chu Berry Alto he has played. Hope he is not just saying that to make me feel good about it. Can,t wait to play it. Will post my thoughts when I get it next week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts