Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting an old re-lac NWII alto from my tech. However, the horn doesn't have the original neck. The one he has for it looks more like a Buescher neck to me.
Now my tech is a straight up guy and has been up front about all of this. He has also said one of the guys who works with him had brought a Conn neck in (either a NWII or 6M i think), and he said that it was a much better match for the horn.

So the question is this; how likely is it that i could find an old NWII neck to match to this horn and how much would be a good price???

I've looked into the Gloger prices, and that is an option, but as I'm on a bit of a budget (saving up to upgrade my Bari), I thought it might be worth seeing if anyone knows if these things come up for sale very often.

Also, does anyone know if other Conn necks (e.g. 6M, with the right octave key etc) would work well with this horn with regards to intonation etc??

Many Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well I think the easiest way to get a NW II neck is to buy a horn through ebay, here is one that went for a decent price

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Conn-Eb-Alto-Sax-/200589552805?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb411aca5

note this is a completed listing so that's how much it sold for, then resell just the horn on ebay with the neck you
have making sure that you note it is not an original neck and I think you will recoup about 50%+ of the initial cost
of the horn, much cheaper than Karsten Gloger's neck especially in light of the cost of metals these days.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
I'm looking at getting an old re-lac NWII alto from my tech. However, the horn doesn't have the original neck.
I don't know what you're planning on paying for such a horn, but anything over a hundred bucks would be a waste in my view. Unless you're getting one heck of a price, I'd look for a horn that you don't need to jump through hoops for.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah I'm hoping that I don't have to spend much on it (especially as I've found a rather tasty bari thats got my name on it!!) so that ebay route looks to be worth a go first, before the gloger route.

To be honest, as I'm mostly a tenor and bari player i primarily just need an alto that is in tune for the bits of teaching that i do on it, so if the neck that is with it is ok then I may just stick with that.

cheers guys

J

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
If that's all you need an alto for, go on a site like Craigslist, find a student alto for $300 or less, test it, and if it works buy it.

Got two real sweet playing Bundy saxes (older style, like the Buescher Aristocrat) that way, an alto and tenor set. The alto is especially in tune, more so than the Yamaha I turned down the day before.

·
Banned
241 Posts
you can find alot more vintage Conn NW/6M alto necks on ebay than say, a Conn NW tenor neck. I've been looking for quite a while now. But I always see alto necks. Microtuner, non-microtuner, and all kinds of finishes. keep an eye out and good luck. And let me know if you find a tenor one for me! I'll but you a 6-pack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts