Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's

I need to know which horn is your preference and why? Would you let go of the Conn Naked Lady for a Committee III.

The Conn Naked Lady or Martin Comm. III, or both in respect to quality of the manufacturing, features, tone, intonation, which one of the two would you prefer to play on and why.

Thanks...

Philo :treble:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have a Conn 10M and a Martin Committee 3. I will probably sell the Martin. For me the Conn has a bigger sound and is fatter in the palm keys. The Martin is not bad in that respect but the Conn is just better.

Also the Conn plays great as is whereas with the Martin it originally came with rivet pads and sounded great but needed an overhaul. The tech recommended resonators like the Balanced Actions have so I went with that but it changed the sound from being a Lester Young vibe to ballsier sound.

I suppose I could repad the horn but since the 10m plays great as is and I have too many horns I may just sell the Martin.

The spatula keys on the Martin are harder to press because of the long lever. Also the 10M has a snappier action, so I would say the 10M is a better design. In fact one of the techs from SOTW has a YouTube video where he says the Conn M series are one of the best designed horns ever.

The intonation on the Martin is great and better than the Conn, not that I have any intonation issues with the Conn.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've had a 319xxx 10m and a 30m. Neither stuck with me.

The 30m lost out to my TH&C at a time when I couldn't keep both. Ergos and weight were the deciding factors.

My first Martin was a '54 C3 in the early 90s. Then I found a a gold plated 1920 Handcraft tenor and a few years ago, a '42 Handcraft Stsndard. I sold the '54 to a friend and bought it back 20 years later - just after I found the 10m and '42.

I absolutely adored the 10m until the Comm 3 was repadded. Again, we have a hugely different ergonomics. The shape of the necks and the placement of the strap ring are just the start. For me, it was no contest. I didn't need another old shaped sax. As to construction, my C3 has a lot of solder repairs. Posts have fallen off for no apparent reason.

The real test was - which do I like better, the 10m or the Handcraft Standard Special? That was close. The deciding factor was that the Conn would bring more money. Otherwise, it was a toss up.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
OP doesn't mention whether the question pertains to alto, tenor, or baritone.

I've been playing Conn 6M, 10M and 12M since the late 1970s. I have also had a few hours on Martins in all 3 sizes.

To me they are very similar. They all have a certain "stiffness" of old American saxophones that means you have to use some strength to get the most out of them. I also think the tonal qualities are similar, but with the Conns a little more bright and present while the Martins are a tiny bit more "hoarse" or "husky" in sound.

To me the Martins appear to have been built with more attention to the quality of the mechanism, whereas Conns, quite frankly, are a bit "string and sealing wax". Also, the The Martins are clearly all designed as a group, whereas the 6M is a new design when compared to its predecessor; the 10M is very similar to the horn that came before it; and the 12M in many ways harkens back to the 1920s. So the three major members of the Conn "M" family (mine are all from 1946-1950) are, to my eyes, more different from each other than the three Martin "The Martin" horns.

It was pretty late in the run of the 12M before it got the front high F key; but on the other hand it retained the fork Eb (in the best implementation ever) almost till the end. As far as I know all the "The" Martins from start to finish in all sizes have front high F. I don't believe any "The" Martins have fork Eb. The "The" Martin baritone for some weird reason doesn't have a side F#.

Don't forget, too, that some 10Ms have the incurable low note "warble" problem. I have not heard of "The Martins" having this. As far as I know it's not a known issue with any of the altos or baritones from either maker.

So in the end, I think a choice really will have to come down to what you like and are comfortable with. In my case, my first tenor was a 10M and my first alto was a 6M. So Conns feel familiar to me. If I had started out on a "The" Martin of whatever size, I might well have ended up playing only those my entire career.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Guy's

I need to know which horn is your preference and why? Would you let go of the Conn Naked Lady for a Committee III.

The Conn Naked Lady or Martin Comm. III, or both in respect to quality of the manufacturing, features, tone, intonation, which one of the two would you prefer to play on and why.

Thanks...

Philo :treble:
Why do you ask?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts