Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night a patron where I was playing at the piano bar told me he has a Conn Naked Lady C Melody he'd like to sell for $300. He bought it about three years ago from a local dealer where it was overhauled. I know the tech, and he does good work. The owner said it's been sitting in a closet ever since he got it. That's all I know about it. I don't know its condition or anything like that.

At that price is it worth checking out? If so, what do I take along as a mouthpiece in case his doesn't work for me?

What condition, finish-wise, dent-wise, should I expect for that kind of money? Anything in particular I should look out for?

As you can tell, I'm completely in the dark about C Mel saxes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,313 Posts
Al, it depends entirely on what kind of "naked lady" it is. First and foremost is playing condition, regardless of model. An overhaul on one of those is going to be as much as a tenor.

Now, as far as model goes, the traditional post-235k serial Naked Lady (8M) is exceedingly rare and collectible. These are the most sought after C tenor out there (except for the elusive Balanced Action C tenor of course!). Value on an original one in good condition could easily top $1200-1500.

If the model is a Wonder (pre-140k), and happens to have a naked lady engraved on it (not in a tiny pentagon), it is collecible, but not overly playable. If it IS engraved that way, chances are (90%) that it should be gold plated. Figure $800 value.

If the model is a New Wonder (150k-235k), and is engraved/plated as above, it's an exceptional horn and probably worth up to $1000.

If it is engraved but also lacquered, it's anybody's guess. Pictures would certainly help.

$300 is a fair price for a run of the mill playable Conn C tenor in good condition.

·
Registered
112 Posts
And then there are the artist specials... This one, a New Wonder I, #80946, gold plated, fetched $2500.

I've been watching eBay for a while, and it seems that the people are willing to pay more for Conn C Melodies than just half a year ago. Is there some sort of revival going on?

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Al Stevens said:
Last night a patron where I was playing at the piano bar told me he has a Conn Naked Lady C Melody he'd like to sell for $300. He bought it about three years ago from a local dealer where it was overhauled. I know the tech, and he does good work. The owner said it's been sitting in a closet ever since he got it. That's all I know about it. I don't know its condition or anything like that.

At that price is it worth checking out? If so, what do I take along as a mouthpiece in case his doesn't work for me?

What condition, finish-wise, dent-wise, should I expect for that kind of money? Anything in particular I should look out for?

As you can tell, I'm completely in the dark about C Mel saxes.

If it is not an artist edition, it could either be in lacqquer or more than like, if you asw the one on saxpics.com, (wonder if the site is running now), It is a transitional Series (If it is not an artist model), and it will have the Keywork, and possibly minor differences in the bore. I would buy it for that price, either way, it is a good deal. It will be a fat sounding conn, and wil be, (In my opinion) louder than a normal Chu c-Mel. :)

Ian

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. I found a Conn stencil on ebay or from a SOTWer, I forget. It was silverplate in excellent condition. I played it a while, didn't like it and sold it to a local player.

It had the tenor-shaped neck and was awkward and uncomfortable for me to hold and play. I could see some repetitive stress syndrome in my future.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Al - With the one on ebay going for $2500, and with original pads, that would have been a great $300 investment tho'...:shock:

Conn-artist - yes, there is a revival (cue Grumps...), but seems only selectively, this slightly newer 'returned to' bare-brass Conn C-Mel (allegedly overhauled not long back) went for just over $180...:(

Some difference !

·
Registered
112 Posts
I saw it. The poor horn, stripped of its coat.

Meh, at least you can see the red rot the moment it starts to rear its ugly head :twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts