Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Joined
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a cheap NWII alto and fixing it up a bit, took the microtuner apart, noticed the part that holds the cork was a bit loose & wiggly. So after taking apart, cleaning and lubing, putting it back together I realized that the externally threaded ring that screws into the outer part, holding the corked tube in place, is itself held by a set-screw through the outer housing. That setscrew lands in a hole through the threaded ring, and in order to engage it properly, the ring can only be screwed in so far, not necessarily clamping the corked piece in place. I left that setscrew out and was able to then clamp things down properly, and it works perfectly.

Is this the way they all are, and does anyone know how it's intended to tighten? Maybe you could add special shim washers or something to dial it in? Seems not well conceived.

View attachment 237172
 

Registered
Joined
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yeah I've had it apart and back together, no problem, as well as years ago the microtuner on my C-melody years ago. The ring is clearly designed to tighten against the cylinder that bears the cork.

On the C-melody, which had much less mileage on it, it was all just fine. On this alto, the countersunk spot is about 60 degrees before the point where it lands and snugs up. Perhaps due to wear, I have no idea. Without the setscrew, all is well. With the setscrew in the countersunk hole, the cork tube is loose (on or off the horn).

Frankly I don't think that ring is going to loosen so I'm not overly concerned, it all works perfectly now. But now I have to keep this nearly microscopic screw, since it's an original part of the horn - I guess I'll tape it inside the case or something...
 

Distinguished SOTW Technician
Joined
3,408 Posts
Many old Conns have the set screw missing or seized up. The locking ring can be 'set' without using the screw with Loctite or similar. My '48 6m has no set screw as it was drilled out at some point -by someone- and the threaded hole for the screw is grossly oversize. Loctite works fine and the mechanism works perfectly.
 

Registered
Joined
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many old Conns have the set screw missing or seized up. The locking ring can be 'set' without using the screw with Loctite or similar. My '48 6m has no set screw as it was drilled out at some point -by someone- and the threaded hole for the screw is grossly oversize. Loctite works fine and the mechanism works perfectly.
I have the setscrew and it works fine but it's better without it. I have a feeling it won't even need it will need loctite to stay in place, will find out:)
 

Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
3,938 Posts
I have the setscrew and it works fine but it's better without it. I have a feeling it won't even need it will need loctite to stay in place, will find out:)
How much slack are we talking about here? I just went and looked at the one I have. I can turn it about 1/3 of a turn before it moves the tube. It鈥檚 not flopping around because I lubed all the internal workings lightly with some waterproof grease. I鈥檓 sure this also helps with any small leaks.
 

Registered
Joined
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much slack are we talking about here? I just went and looked at the one I have. I can turn it about 1/3 of a turn before it moves the tube. It鈥檚 not flopping around because I lubed all the internal workings lightly with some waterproof grease. I鈥檓 sure this also helps with any small leaks.
Similar I suppose. I used some heavy grease on my last alto to snug it up and that was acceptable. I used waterproof grease on the moving parts of this one as well, I think it's a good idea! It bugs me to feel the mouthpiece a bit wobbly, and it's an obvious potential leak...
 

Registered
Joined
182 Posts
Similar I suppose. I used some heavy grease on my last alto to snug it up and that was acceptable. I used waterproof grease on the moving parts of this one as well, I think it's a good idea! It bugs me to feel the mouthpiece a bit wobbly, and it's an obvious potential leak...
Thinking out loud...would it be possible to drill and tap a new hole and abandon the one that it has now?
 

Registered
Joined
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thinking out loud...would it be possible to drill and tap a new hole and abandon the one that it has now?
Yes definitely possible. But seems like the eventuality might be a bunch of holes and not much threads:) I'm just see how long it holds without the setscrew. If it's more than a year then not worth worrying about... I guess as long as I twist the mouthpiece off and on in a tightening direction it should never loosen!
 

Registered
Joined
182 Posts
Yes definitely possible. But seems like the eventuality might be a bunch of holes and not much threads:) I'm just see how long it holds without the setscrew. If it's more than a year then not worth worrying about... I guess as long as I twist the mouthpiece off and on in a tightening direction it should never loosen!
Let's hope that will do the trick for you, anything is better than tampering with a gem!! ;)
 

Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
3,938 Posts
Similar I suppose. I used some heavy grease on my last alto to snug it up and that was acceptable. I used waterproof grease on the moving parts of this one as well, I think it's a good idea! It bugs me to feel the mouthpiece a bit wobbly, and it's an obvious potential leak...
Screw it in to where you like it then back it out the 1/3 turn. You push on it not pull while playing. It doesn鈥檛 matter if you鈥檙e turning outward. Play with this and you鈥檒l see. Grease is not a long term fix. So what! Good for leak test and cheap.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top