Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people. I was perusing these pages and came across a topic from a couple of years ago regarding identifying a Conn sax. Here is a link to that discussion :

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?119952-New-Conn-need-info-40xxx

I have determined after a bit of research that the Conn Leedy horn is not a Conn stencil. If it were a stencil it would not have the Conn name on it. I have uploaded a video to YouTube that gives a bit of detail about the Conn-Leedy horn. Check it out here : http://youtu.be/0EEVOsFR8P8

Cheers....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,963 Posts
Actually, that is kind of an interesting missing link.

I have a '31 "6M" which, incidentally, has the Chu pinky cluster w/no nailfile G#. The horn is unengraved on the bell, and has the underslung neck.

So I think your Leedy-Conn is older than the 40's...although it could be from then. But I believe Conn acquired Leedy (as well as Ludwig & Ludwig) in 1929....so the likelihood is your horn is from the 30's.

I agree, NOT a stencil at all...and probably pretty rare to a Conn collector given that it has the Leedy name on it.

It is sorta a Transitional from Chu-to-6M, still exhibiting the Chu-ish neck (although as you note the tenon is a bit different). Interesting to think that for a few years they may have been slapping various necks and tables onto what was already a 6M body !

Conn actually kept Leedy as a subsidiary into the '50's...although, again, I would imagine they didn't use the name on their horns any longer; nor obviously did they put the name on horns very much to begin with.

As an aside...Leedy (and later, Leedy & Ludwig) drums had a great run under Conn, they were considered top-notch and are highly sought-after today.

Very cool, thanks for sharing....

·
Fan Of Pan Am
407 Posts
I am late to the party on this one:

The assertion that this is not a Conn stencil is correct. It's a Pan American stencil, model 64M. The vintage is either 1932/33 if the serial number is in the 46,000's or 1935 if in the 49,000's. The serial number pictures are not clear enough to determine.

Leedy was purchased by Conn in 1929. The trades headlined the purchase as a merger, but the articles really describe a purchase.

Here are some errors in the presentation:
1) The sax is not made by Conn-Leedy, it's made by Pan American. Pan American had their own plant starting in Nov of 1919.
2) The G# key & cluster is not the same sans "nail file" as the nail file design on the Conn 6M "transitional". The 6M Nail file G# is rounded only on one end and relatively square on the other. Plus it was mated to a 3 roller system.
3) The micro tuner on this alto is the standard micro tuner on Pan American saxes starting in 1931.
4) The 1915 patent is the Hardy Tone-Hole Patent applied to Pan American saxes starting in the mid to late 1920's.

Also there are errors describing the Kalashen Kleartone alto, which is also a Pan American stencil.

Best,
Kurt

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
So did Pan Am make the Conn Leedy tenors and baris too? And are they any good?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts