Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come into possession of an alto from about the 1950s that has several traits that scream CONN. It's got the 6M-style pinky cluster, but the G# has a nailfile pattern on it like a Chu. It has the Mercedes-style low C keyguard and red rollers. I believe the engraving states that it is a "Fidelty Deluxe", but I'm not certain of this (it's at home right now). Also, it has a cool adjustable thumbhook like I've seen on some Conn 6Ms.

It's stamped "Made in Italy".

I'll get pics up tonight, but I was wondering if any of you have run into a horn like this? I haven't tried playing it yet.

fm

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have to think that if it were a stencil it would have been made at the Conn Factory in the US and would therefore not say Made in Italy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate all your replies. I was pretty certain it wasn't a Conn, but I was surprised at how well-built the horn was and how closely they copied Conn. I took it out for a spin and it plays very well. Just for grins, I will post pics of the horn...I think it's a pretty cool horn.

fm

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
I have seen in person a bari version of the Conn Copy. Worldwidesax.com rebuilt another one a year ago I think, you may want to contact them. The one I saw said made in Italy in it, it was not in playable condition. It was a 1930's design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts